Author Topic: Is now the time to buy this lot?  (Read 2516 times)

akajoe87

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is now the time to buy this lot?
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:17:10 PM »
I bought a lot about 2 years ago in this development for $38,000 and built my house on it. Recently a lot was offered to me for $20,000 because the subdivision was reposed by the bank.It is in a small town and things are selling slow. I was wondering if now is a good time to buy it but I would have to take a loan out for $20,000 in tack it on my mortgage and eventually sell my house and then build a house on that lot. The HOA fees are a hefty $300 a month. Should I buy it or not? Thanks

akajoe87

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Is now the time to buy this lot?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 05:45:42 AM »
Low balling on the price may be in my best interest. I really want the lot and feel that if I do not buy it now I may never get the chance to purchase it for that price again while interest rates on loans a very good. I build my own houses and if this works out I will be debt free if I can sell my current house and build on that lot.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »
Why is the first house you build not good enough?  That is, why do you want this lot?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »
Wait, the HOA fees on an empty lot are 300$ a month?  What do those fees get you exactly?

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »
To make a judgement, we'd have to know more about your plan.

What's of paramount importance is that you not use the $38k you paid for your lot as an anchoring point for the second lot. That is, $20k isn't necessarily cheap just because it's lower than what you paid. You need to do a thorough comparison to other lots not only in your town, but neighboring towns. Be sure to factor in the HOA fee, realizing that a $300/mo annuity is worth on the order of $70k. So you'd be much better off paying $60k for a lot with, say, a $300/yr HOA fee. In fact, with a $300/mo fee, it's entirely possible that someone should PAY YOU to take the land off their hands.

akajoe87

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 03:04:44 AM »
The HOA fees really only get a paved road! Thanks everyone for your help. I am not going to buy it until I can get it for 10K or the market picks up around my area.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!