Author Topic: Interior insulation - what to expect?  (Read 2019 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Interior insulation - what to expect?
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
The insulation guys are cleaning up right now after achieving something I have lusted after for over ten years: all of my interior walls (as well as exterior, floors, and attic) are insulated. Ba-da-boom! I'm really looking forward to the results and am afraid I have talked it up so much in my mind over the years that I will be disappointed.

We have a small mid-century house that previously had almost no insulation and I really hope this winter will be significantly more comfortable than previous winters in a similar house with no insulation. I am also hoping for sound privacy to keep private acts of life intimate and not something to be listened in on by the kiddos or guests. Does anyone have experience with blown-in insulation in interior walls? What did you think of the results?

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Interior insulation - what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:18:02 PM »
   I think you will enjoy it. Insulated the hell out of my attic and saved about 40% + on utilities. DOE says 38% of heat loss is the attic.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »
I'd be interested in the results with the walls.  We are doing our ceiling/roof in a few weeks but haven't bit the bullet on the walls. We also have slab on grade construction so floor is not a possibility.  Would you mind sharing how much it cost? 

srad

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 01:05:49 PM »
Do you have newer or storm windows?  You'll want those if not...

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »
It looks like we paid around $4000 for insulating the crawl space, attic, and all walls (interior and exterior). We do have to have a drywaller come and patch the holes so I can repaint, which will be more money. So far though, I am pleased. We already have newer windows and solid doors, so the house is pretty quiet. I think I had hoped that the interior wall insulation would do a better job than it does on attenuating sound, but it is still nice. The best part is how the house stays almost the same temperature now instead of getting darned cold at night and uncomfortably hot in the afternoon on a warm day.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 03:13:29 PM »
Thanks! I was thinking we would (try to) DIY the attic insulation but after crawling around up there I am just not sure. 

Glad you are pleased with the results and thanks for the info!

archben82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »
This is a great thing to do and often overlooked in the overall "comfort" level of the home.  If I were insulating the interior walls for sound attenuation, I'd use mineral wool batts like Roxul.  It has excellent sound absorption and is pretty much fireproof. Of course, if your home is already built, blown-in like you did is probably the only way to go.  Just curious how they blew it in and got it past any fireblocking?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:32:13 PM »
Maybe because my home is old, but I don’t know what you mean by fireblocking. The insulators drilled 1-inch diameters holes near the top and bottom of the walls and blew in insulation in between each of the studs in the wall. Then a dry waller had to come to patch the holes and I’ll finish by painting when that is all said and done.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:27:09 AM by ysette9 »

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
Maybe because my home is old, but I don’t know what you mean by fireblocking. The insulators drilled 1-inch diameters holes near the top and bottom of the walls and blew I suaktion in between each of the studs in the wall. Then a dry waller had to come to patch the holes and I’ll finish by painting when that is all said and done.

I had it done this past spring, along with the attic, and the contractor did exactly the opposite of yours. He drilled holes in the outside walls and blew it in from the outside. There was nothing much to patch because with that method they take a full shingle off, then drill the hole, then nail the shingle back on when they are done. Maybe it has to do with the age of your home. Mine was built in 1960.

I am looking forward, sort of, to winter to see what the improvement will be. So far I have observed, like others, that the temp indoors stays pretty contstant but in New England we really haven't had much cold weather yet.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »
New England with no insulation?! Shouldn’t that be illegal or something? I expect you will see a big benefit.

It is wonderful that your repairs were so easy. We don’t have shingles on the sides of houses here and our hose has wood siding, so repairing interior holes is easier.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 10:41:59 AM »
Maybe because my home is old, but I don’t know what you mean by fireblocking. The insulators drilled 1-inch diameters holes near the top and bottom of the walls and blew in insulation in between each of the studs in the wall. Then a dry waller had to come to patch the holes and I’ll finish by painting when that is all said and done.

Lumber (or drywall) placed horizontally between the studs to slow down fire. Imagine a fire racing up a stud cavity and feeding from the oxygen in the attic. Nowadays they require even pipe and wire holes to be encased within fire resistant foam.

My older house has them and yours probably does too -- it's why they drilled holes in the top and bottom rather than just the top.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 03:17:17 PM »
I had no idea it was called that. Of course we have that cross bracing in between the studs.