Author Topic: I'm in love with laminate flooring  (Read 4015 times)

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
I'm in love with laminate flooring
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:12:32 PM »
Wood laminate to be exact. I've heard vinyl plank laminate is better, but I will share my experience with the wood laminate stuff you can get at Home Depot. Two of my rentals have laminate flooring in portions of them, such as the living room, hallways, dinning rooms, etc. I'm amazed how well it holds up. Though my tenants are hard on the carpet, with carpet stains within a year of moving in, I'm amazed that the laminate flooring has no marks, stains, scratches, etc. When it comes time to replace the carpeted areas, I will  hands down replace it with laminate flooring. I mean heck, this will drastically reduce how often I have to pay for carpet cleaning, replacing carpet, etc.

jnc

• Stubble
Re: I'm in love with laminate flooring
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 05:12:04 AM »
Yeah laminate flooring and vinyl planks are great. I would never put carpet, I don't understand the fascination with it.

My house has real wooden floors and they have been a real pain in the ass, so easy to damage. If the house didn't come with the wooden floors and I only had to refinish them, I think i'd opt for laminate just for the peace of mind.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 10:24:19 AM »
Yeah laminate flooring and vinyl planks are great. I would never put carpet, I don't understand the fascination with it.

Because it's still a fairly new material and there have been and continue to be concerns with toxic materials used in the manufacturing process, specifically in the glue. I guess carpet is also slightly easier to install but not when you consider having to replace it often.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »

Because it's still a fairly new material and there have been and continue to be concerns with toxic materials used in the manufacturing process, specifically in the glue. I guess carpet is also slightly easier to install but not when you consider having to replace it often.

Next best thing is stone or tile. They do actually make "wood" tile. Only downside of tile is that it's cold, and hard - if older people fall, or on their joints. I have tile in my condo and it is super easy to clean and indestructible. Has not chipped or cracked in 5 years of heavy use.

It's pretty cheap and easy to diy.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »
I can't say I love laminate flooring, but I find it is the best solution for rentals, as it is very durable and relatively nice. We are in the process of converting our principal residence into a rental and are replacing all carpets in the bedrooms with vinyl plank. I too don't understand why anyone would have carpets in their homes or rentals, for health reasons as much as for maintenance. For my own place, I personally prefer the look and feel of natural flooring materials such as wood, cork or tile.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 04:58:04 PM »
  n I also fell in love with laminate, have not put any in a rental in 5 years. Cheap, tough and easy. :)

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
  • Follow me on my journey to Financial Freedom!
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 03:29:47 PM »
I love laminate also but did move to vinyl plank on most recent re-flooring.  Only because I read that the vinyl plank does all that laminate can do as well as not get ruined with liquid spills.   I hear laminate can be damaged with long exposure to liquid.

Although this problem has never happened to me, that is the only reason why I went Vinyl.  To date I have not had any problems with any of my laminates in all my rentals.  Love laminate!

Sdsailing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »

Which home depot laminate did you choose?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »
We have put laminate in 5 houses with different brands and have found the Pergo brand to hold up the best. In our present house some rooms have hardwood and the remainder we did the vinyl laminate that looks just like wood and no water concerns for bathrooms, kitchens, etc.

Greenroller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
I personally love the look of hand scraped wood flooring. Now I would never invest that into a rental, but definitely in my primary residence. The beauty of it is, even if it gets knicked or dented it just adds more character to the overall look.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!