Author Topic: HVAC leaks - Should I replace or just fill up for upcoming sale?  (Read 2636 times)

Jesus Christ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
House was built in 1994, with original 2.5 ton Trane unit. The small leak is in the attic in the air handler (apparently in the coils so it cannot be fixed)

I filled it up last summer with the old style freon for $250. But now it is struggling to hold temp set-points again. I am going to be putting the property on the market to sell for a loss in May.

Should I replace for $3700  for a cheap Goodman unit or just re-fill the freon and let the new owners worry about it?

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: HVAC leaks - Should I replace or just fill up for upcoming sale?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »
If your state requires an inspection as a condition of sale or you are not selling as-is, then you should replace it.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
You can buy a new air handler. And have it installed. It will have to be an R-22 unit. Depending on if you can get the unit out of the attic.. it can be worth it, or not.

A 3 ton split system is 1650 delivered. You can get someone out to evacuate your old system. Then if you can cut the line-set close to the unit, and place the new ones. That way all the AC guy has to do the braise the lines and hook it up.

If you are in a house that put the AC in the attic with no exit... Hopefully you have asphalt shingles, you will have to go out the top. This is a LOT of work. But can be done. When my parents replace their air handler... they will have to cut a hole in the ceiling in the garage and lower it down.

Link to $1650 system, http://www.ebay.com/itm/111276007746

If you get it all set up, then there is no reason that the AC tech should charge a ridiculous amount.

30lb of R22 is about $300 on Amazon. $10 a pound. You can buy by sending a message to the seller that a certified tech will install it. http://www.amazon.com/R22-Refrigerant-30-Disposable-Tank/dp/B00F06NDS0/

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:56:07 AM »
You can buy a new air handler. And have it installed. It will have to be an R-22 unit. Depending on if you can get the unit out of the attic.. it can be worth it, or not.

A 3 ton split system is 1650 delivered. You can get someone out to evacuate your old system. Then if you can cut the line-set close to the unit, and place the new ones. That way all the AC guy has to do the braise the lines and hook it up.

If you are in a house that put the AC in the attic with no exit... Hopefully you have asphalt shingles, you will have to go out the top. This is a LOT of work. But can be done. When my parents replace their air handler... they will have to cut a hole in the ceiling in the garage and lower it down.

Link to $1650 system, http://www.ebay.com/itm/111276007746

If you get it all set up, then there is no reason that the AC tech should charge a ridiculous amount.

30lb of R22 is about $300 on Amazon. $10 a pound. You can buy by sending a message to the seller that a certified tech will install it. http://www.amazon.com/R22-Refrigerant-30-Disposable-Tank/dp/B00F06NDS0/

We just had this problem, but had a local tech come out and repair the leak (after the big company in town said it couldn't be done and  wanted to replace the unit).  Leak repair was $155 and then the cost of r22, which is pretty high.  BTW, the EPA is limiting the production of r22 to 10% for 2015, so it's only going to go up.

El Marinero

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:03 AM »
Hiding a defect like  this by recharging the unit without fixing the leak probably isn't a great idea if you are selling the property.

Real estate laws vary, but sellers have a common law obligation to disclosure defects that would significantly affect the value or desirabilty of the property. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!