Author Topic: How much to save for purchasing a house?  (Read 1706 times)

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
How much to save for purchasing a house?
« on: February 21, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »
My spouse and I are starting to seriously consider buying a house, possibly as early as this summer, and I'm trying to figure out how much cash we should have on hand. We're considering houses in the $60k to $80k range and planning on a 20% down payment, but I don't have a clue what we'll need for closing costs, inspections, and other miscellaneous expenses I don't even know to anticipate. Any advice or good resources for us to look at would be appreciated.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: How much to save for purchasing a house?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
If you're putting 20% down, that's 12-16k for the down payment.  Say a few thousand for closing costs.  Keep a few thousand for early stuff you'll need to fix up.  Make sure you get a home warranty included, in case stuff fails in the first year, or was missed by the home inspector.  Probably 20k is a healthy amount.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

PAstash

• Stubble
Re: How much to save for purchasing a house?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:49:53 AM »
My spouse and I are starting to seriously consider buying a house, possibly as early as this summer, and I'm trying to figure out how much cash we should have on hand. We're considering houses in the $60k to $80k range and planning on a 20% down payment, but I don't have a clue what we'll need for closing costs, inspections, and other miscellaneous expenses I don't even know to anticipate. Any advice or good resources for us to look at would be appreciated.

20% down is the way to go. for that price of house 4-6k closing cost. I believe your bank can give you a more accurate guess. it won't be exact. get a rough idea of any improvements you might want to make to the house or more importantly what NEEDS to be fixed to move in. on top of all that 6 month emergency fund. don't forget it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!