Author Topic: Have you ever installed a vent a hood? Is it required?  (Read 1233 times)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
Have you ever installed a vent a hood? Is it required?
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »
I'm looking at a rental prospect that has a range but no vent a good.

Per my inspection friend they aren't "required".

How much all in does it cost to install?

Should I invest the money in this?  Not sure why the prior owner didn't have one but they had it set up for years without one.

kevinfc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Have you ever installed a vent a hood? Is it required?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
They are not required, most properties around me don't have one.

Installing is not hard necessarily... but you need to run a 4" duct from the range vent to the exterior of the house. If the range is against an exterior wall it's pretty easy, if not it can be a lot of effort.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it for a rental.
Would you be able to get more rent with one installed?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:43:23 AM by kevinfc »

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:21:34 PM »
I got my landlord to install one, there was already a hole above the stove that was boarded up so I think it vents somewhere (hopefully outside). When I moved in there was a layer of grease over the whole kitchen so I thought maybe a vent would help (and obviously the previous tenant could have cleaned, but apparently didn't know what that was). Maybe it wasn't mandatory to install it, but I really like having it and I think every kitchen should have one if it isn't too difficult/expensive to set it up.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
Posting to follow.

We're installing one this fall. The ducting will have to go up into the attic then out the side wall of the house.

I want a built in one (building out own casing) but I'm having a hard time paying $400 for it when the under cabinet ones can be had for $100. Why so much more!?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!