Author Topic: How many square feet is your home? And number of occupants.  (Read 28937 times)

RobertFromTX

• Stubble
Re: How many square feet is your home? And number of occupants.
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »
1,430 sqft, 2/2. two people - I (35M) own the home and rent out the downstairs bedroom to another individual.

It's not the most convenient having a room mate, but its one of the better financial decisions I've made.

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2020, 07:07:39 PM »
2156 sq feet with 6 people and 2 big dogs

PGSD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »
1910 square feet (4B/2.5Ba/2 car garage) for two adults, two dogs, and a lot of "stuff" (most is mine).

It's interesting to see everyone's home size as most of my friends have homes MUCH bigger than mine. I've always felt my house was a bit small (though, a recent remodel opened things up).

Of course, if I had another garage space and more bedrooms, I'd just collect more vehicles and "stuff" so...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2020, 11:45:25 PM »
I answered this question way upthread. However, we recently moved my MIL into a board and care. Bonus kid has a full time job, but often works extended hours, so he's not home the way he used to be. Suddenly, this 4BR, 3 bath 2648 sf house feels way too big. Its a strange feeling. DH and I talked about it. We're going to stay put until he retires, because he lives being able to walk to work. Hopefully we can launch the kid by then and really go smaller.

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2020, 07:22:56 AM »
2100 sq ft plus a partly finished basement but no attic or garage or shed for 2 adults, 4 kids, and 1 cat. 3 beds, 1.5 bath, 1 closet that became a nursery that will become a bathroom someday. I wish we had more smaller bedrooms and a better downstairs layout but 15 ft wide rowhouses are limited in their options. I do not want less space because currently the kids are little and home a lot, I don't work, my husband works from home sometimes, and we entertain at least once a week. Maybe we could downsize when we spend less time at home. Someday years from now I imagine a 2 bed duplex where we have the other half for kids at the holidays and airbnb it the rest of the time.

ronsbusa3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2020, 01:49:21 PM »
Our house is 3200sf with a finished basement also. Just DW and myself and a cat. If only I could of found MMM before 2011. We just bought our early retirement house in August in North Carolina  1927sf  and are renting it out till we move in 2022.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2020, 02:45:30 PM »
Current home: 1900 sf single family home.
2 adults, 2 young kids, 1 large dog.

4 bedrooms. One is devoted to the spouse's office (work from home). The kids were sharing a room by choice until a few months ago, so the third bedroom was a playroom/guest room. When the big kid (7) started advocating for her own space, we let her move there.   

2 baths (1 full, 1 3/4). The second shower is not necessary, but I would not want to go down to 1 bathroom again. We all wake up around the same time in the morning.

2-car detached garage, smallish.
We have a bike for each family member as well as camping gear, skis and snowshoes. Enough to fill up the margins of the garage.

Due to spouse's new job, we're getting ready to move to a higher COL city nearby. We're looking at maybe 3br, probably 1500sf tops.

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2020, 08:48:56 PM »
Just under 1900 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage

2 adults, 1 teen full time and one college student sometimes.  Also a dog and a few cats.  I have my home gym occupying about 150sq ft and two home offices occupying another 200 sq ft.  Feels fine, though the kitchen gets a bit crowded when 2 or more of us are working together on dinner.

BruceWayne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2020, 09:20:07 PM »
3400.  4 people and 1 dog.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »
1200 sq ft, 2 beds, 1 bath for 2 adults. We have overnight guests about once a month and about twice a year a bunch of family comes over for extended visits. I loved this house and we made it work, often with 5-6 guests staying for a week during the holidays. A very well laid out small house can be better than a house with a lot of wasted space in closets and bedrooms.

My next house will be much bigger at 2600sqft with 4 beds / 4 baths but we'll add a roommate and hopefully we'll be starting a family soon. Having extra bathrooms will be a huge plus with the amount of frequent guests we have. I'm going to go a little crazy with all the extra space I think. It's going to be too much house but the location is going to be worth it.

grobinski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd - 02.03.20!
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »
1600sqt, 1-1/2 story 1921 bungalow (500 sqft attic is normally unheated/cooled guest space),  3br, 2ba, full basement (shop/studio),  2 car garage

2 adults +2 cats

We recently FIREd and are contemplating some sot of a shift but it would be tough to fin a place we would like as much that would meet our criteria. There is an active Zillow search for that unicorn.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2020, 08:49:51 AM »
1300 sq ft, one adult, one teen, cat, dog. (Canada)

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
2060 sq ft- 4 people-US

Fire2029

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2020, 07:31:54 AM »
4600 Sq. Ft., 4 People - Two Adults, 12 year old, 9 year old. One 90 pound lab. 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, home theater, 3 car garage, pool.

So this is the story of how we ended up with a McMansion. We had a 2100 Sq Ft 3/2 with a two car garage that wouldn’t really fit two cars. I work from home, and was pretty much forced to work in the master bedroom. There were times I felt like the kids were on top of us. We didn’t have a guest room and my parents live out of state.

I wanted an office. My wife wanted a pool. My parents actually thought sleeping in a race car bed was cool, but we wanted a guest room.

I looked at finishing our upstairs with 2 more bedrooms and adding a pool. We were looking at 120k in spend, and based on comps adding about 30k to the value of our house. And we would still be stuck with a “2 car” garage that fit one car.

We started looking at what was in the market in our school district. The next logical step was the 3000 Sq. Ft range. Houses in this range were generally 4/2.5 with a two car garage and sometimes a bonus room. We can make this work, we would have to do double duty with an office/guest room. Some of them had pools. None of them had three car garages.

While we were driving around we found a house in a neighborhood we thought we couldn’t afford. It had been on the market, but the water heater burst and did a ton of damage. The owner already lived out of state, one of my buddies was his brother and babysitting the renovation after the water damage. 5/3.5 with bonus room, pool, three car garage. The owner just wants to unload this thing as soon as possible after the repair. The water heater damage caused him to miss summer relocation season after his buyer fell through.

We put it under contract at 95 a square foot, got to pick our finishes (paint, hardwood) and got everything we wanted out of a house. The place next door just sold for $109 per sq ft and is the same size.

Staunch Aim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2020, 11:58:46 AM »
1100 Sq Ft. 3 adults & 3 bedrooms filled by myself & 2 tenants, all male. 

One (25) is a doctorate student at the medical college down the road, the other (30) works in the marijuana industry.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »
Under 120 sq f for 2 adults and a 20 lb dog, had a 2nd 20 lb dog until about a year ago. We live and travel full time in a high roof Dodge Promaster. 19 ft 9 inches from bumper to bumper so the 120 sq ft is the entire length, about 72 sq ft if you just count the cargo area, a little bit more if you count the driver and passenger seat area.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »
^Photos??

I'd love to see your setup! Don't need any identifying info like license plates, just curious about living in more compact spaces.

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2021, 06:07:43 PM »
Under 120 sq f for 2 adults and a 20 lb dog, had a 2nd 20 lb dog until about a year ago. We live and travel full time in a high roof Dodge Promaster. 19 ft 9 inches from bumper to bumper so the 120 sq ft is the entire length, about 72 sq ft if you just count the cargo area, a little bit more if you count the driver and passenger seat area.

I like it!

My family (wife, four kids, and German Shepherd mutt) lived in a 29' travel trailer for one year while traveling America.  It was tight but do-able.  We are now in the process of converting our tow vehicle (1996 Ford E-350) into a campervan.  We did our first trip with bed & hammocks installed for sleeping over the Christmas break.

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2021, 07:15:53 PM »
2100 sq feet with 6 people-2 adults, 2 teens and 2 younger ones plus 2 dogs

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2021, 08:31:36 PM »
920 sqf, 2 adults, 2 toddlers, no pets
We're planning an upgrade to about 1500sqf in a few years, to give each kid their own room

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2021, 06:13:18 AM »
1800 sf on two levels, (1100 down, 700 up).
Now that daughter is in college it's just me and a big Newfoundland.
This is on rural acreage. My pole barn is bigger than the house.
Since covid my partner who lives in the city has been living here a little over half time. I find the 1100 sf one bedroom main level to be pretty much perfect for one or two adults (sharing a bedroom). I rarely even go upstairs anymore.
I've thought about renting rooms but value my privacy more.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2021, 06:26:28 PM »
Size: Main level is 1250 sq. ft. The finished basement is an additional 1200 sq. ft. for a total of 2450 sq. ft.

Occupants: Two adults + 3-year old.

The heating bill and electricity bill are very reasonable for the size. The bills are actually smaller than our previous rental which was 925 sq. ft. The rental was 100 years old with poor insulation. My biggest natural gas bill in the winter (heat) was $48 last year. The biggest electricity bill last summer (A/C) was $137.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2021, 07:25:16 PM »
1000sqft for 2 adults and 3 large, rambunctious dogs. 3br/2ba. No basement or garage. In one bedroom we covered two walls with bookshelves and use it as an office/library. We’re thinking of converting the second bath into a half bath plus large linen closet, but that’ll torpedo the rental value if we ever do decide to move.

PMJL34

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2021, 09:25:19 PM »
950sq ft. 3bed/2bath.

3 adults and 2 mid-size children.

no garage/basement/or even parking lol.

Just got a ridiculous pg&e bill for $190 and we barely use electricity or gas. water is 125/month with minimal use.

We don't have much stuff and it's an open floor plan so the square footage feels bigger/sufficient, but I would love a garage for my tools/bikes/weights.

falsekrakk808

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2021, 09:47:51 PM »
911 sq/ft, 3/2 setup in an upstairs townhome

Family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids)

Good enough for our family considering our oldest is 10. Once the teenage years roll around, I'll need to revisit their needs (and mine) for privacy. The older boys share a room while our youngest still sleeps in our room.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2021, 05:33:36 AM »
1320sq ft, but soon to be expanded to 1500sq ft. 2 adults + 1 child + 3 cats.

Lomonossov

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Nihil Obstat
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2021, 06:25:03 AM »
780sq/ft (if Google did the math OK, it's 72m2), 2 bed/ 1 bath + 1 parking spot and a small additional storage room next to it.

We're two people and hopefully one baby will come our way soon.

When reading all of you I find it rather depressing, but it's probably due to differences in lifestyle. I live in one big block of apartments walking distance to the center of a mid-size city in Europe. For most of my friends having that much space is luxurious, if you want more space you need to go to more than 1h commute to the center with way less options in public transport, and I just love walking the city and the public transport options too much.

I wouldn't know what to do with a 1000+ sq/ft property, just too big for us.

RetirementDreaming

• Stubble
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »
4 people (2 adults, 2 teens), 3022 square feet

Moving to 4 people, 2543 square feet

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2021, 11:38:57 AM »
We're at 2,200 for 2 adults, 2 small children, and 1 large dog. It's a condo in a small condo building (only 4 units).

We are moving to 2,400 SFH and plan to be in that house until the 2 small children are 2 grown-ass children and out of the house permanently. In addition to gaining a yard, we're gaining a solid school district and excellent public HS, lower city taxes, and a shorter commute for DH when we return to working in-office (my commute, due to the way train/bus lines are laid out, will stay about the same).

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2021, 03:41:26 AM »
Would be interesting if you could also give an idea of how much in the way of taxes, utilities insurance and any maintenance fees you roughly pay.

For us (1500sqft terraced home) per year:

Tax: £2300
Electric/gas/water: £1800
Insurance: £150
Parking permit: £200
Maintenance: difficult to say as we haven't been here long, but I'll take a wild stab at £1500-2000/yr

so total probably around £6000/pa give or take ($8160 USD) to keep the lights on and keep us legit
Our home is quite big (and expensive) compared to UK/London homes, but we really wouldn't save much even if we lived in a place half the size.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:45:04 AM by vand »

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2021, 06:26:49 AM »
2 adults, currently 3 dogs. About 930 SF on our floor, 2 BR. We also have storage in 1/2 our basement and our attic. (Duplex.) Tenants downstairs have about 1050 SF, 2BR.

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2021, 06:43:00 AM »
Would be interesting if you could also give an idea of how much in the way of taxes, utilities insurance and any maintenance fees you roughly pay.

For us, ~6000sf house (3400sf upstairs, 2600sf downstairs half finished) and 1600sf shop:

Taxes: $15,000
Electric/gas/water: $5,800
Insurance: $1,200
Maintenance: $800 (all diy, so this is materials only.)

It's a lot, but there are seven people in the house, with four full(-ish) time professional incomes. So it's not a significant portion of our pay.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:45:43 AM by theoverlook »

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2021, 07:07:25 AM »
We've got 1500 square feet for 3 occupants (two adults and a toddler), but 500 of that is a finished basement that we really never spend time in because its dark, cold and dusty.  The basement makes for decent storage space though. 

It feels massively too small with a toddler and me doing WFH. He's also a super light sleeper so we're basically trapped into being super quiet during nap time. At first we were like, "We'll just do what we want to do and make HIM adapt to US!" but when he takes a nap that's too short its bad for EVERYONE.   Our next house will be two stories and at least 2000 square feet. 

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2021, 07:28:05 AM »
1700 is plenty for anyone.  Most people only use a small fraction of their home and pay to heat/cool/insure spaces they don't need like extra bedrooms, formal living and dining rooms, etc.  For what you pay for that extra bedroom you could probably put your in-laws at the Ritz-Carlton two weeks per year and everyone would be happier that way.   Formal dining room delete could get you Thanksgiving dinner at a swank private dining room. And no cleanup!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »
2400 square feet. Originally had 2 adults and one child, now just one adult.

Sorry to hear that. Are you planning on downsizing? Is the child there part-time?

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2021, 09:02:00 AM »
1700 is plenty for anyone.  Most people only use a small fraction of their home and pay to heat/cool/insure spaces they don't need like extra bedrooms, formal living and dining rooms, etc.  For what you pay for that extra bedroom you could probably put your in-laws at the Ritz-Carlton two weeks per year and everyone would be happier that way.   Formal dining room delete could get you Thanksgiving dinner at a swank private dining room. And no cleanup!

I had a chuckle when reading this. When we sold our 1800 sqft 3-bdm house a couple years ago and bought a 2-bdm 1270sf condo. We estimated that the 3rd bedroom, which was set up as a guest room, was used about 4 weekends a year when our parents visited. To buy a 3-bdm condo would have added a minimum of $75K to the price. We said that is a lot of hotel nights we can pay for when they come to visit.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2021, 09:17:48 AM »
Our second bedroom has been really clutch since Covid hit. We are both essential, high exposure (me more than spouse) and we have had reason to isolate multiple times since last March.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2021, 11:30:13 AM »

For us, ~6000sf house (3400sf upstairs, 2600sf downstairs half finished) and 1600sf shop:

Taxes: $15,000
Electric/gas/water: $5,800
Insurance: $1,200
Maintenance: $800 (all diy, so this is materials only.)

It's a lot, but there are seven people in the house, with four full(-ish) time professional incomes. So it's not a significant portion of our pay.

Dude that's not a house that's a frickin' CITY!

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2021, 11:44:53 AM »
We've got 1500 square feet for 3 occupants (two adults and a toddler), but 500 of that is a finished basement that we really never spend time in because its dark, cold and dusty.  The basement makes for decent storage space though. 

It feels massively too small with a toddler and me doing WFH. He's also a super light sleeper so we're basically trapped into being super quiet during nap time. At first we were like, "We'll just do what we want to do and make HIM adapt to US!" but when he takes a nap that's too short its bad for EVERYONE.   Our next house will be two stories and at least 2000 square feet.

you definitely win the oxymoron of the week prize :D

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »
3100 sqft if you include the unfinished basement, for two adults and two cats. 2100 sqft finished space.  We downsized from 2800 sqft finished space plus a 1400 unfinished basement, which was too much, especially since it was an old house and things broke constantly.

I heard on a real estate podcast once, "You need a big house so that when you and your spouse fight, you can get away from each other. Also you can do War of the Roses"

Incredible, I had never heard of this movie but it sounded like a good reference. Watched it today.

As for us, we are 4 humans (married couple, 2yo, and housemate) with 2 cats living in ~1700sqft. It doesn't feel like quite enough during COVID, though I recognize that we are lucky in the house we are in.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2021, 09:47:10 PM »

Were I live, you can buy a 1500 sq. ft. 3/2 home with no basement for about 250K. This is $167 sq. ft. For 300K, you can get a house with an additional 1,000 sq. ft. finished basement. The extra 1,000 sq. ft. only cost you $50 sq. ft. My utility bills are lower in a 2450 sq. ft. home with a basement than when we were renting a 925 sq. ft. single story home. The single story rental was much older with poor insulation.

We host family/friends about 30-45 nights/year. It works for us.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2021, 05:53:40 PM »
(1460 sq ft, 4 adults)

Tax: US$6,100
Water/gas/electric/trash: $2,700
Insurance: $1,600
Maintenance: $3,000 (most years under $1000 but making allowance for rare larger projects)

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2021, 09:35:59 PM »
3000 sq ft paid off house in rural Australia.
3 adults, 1 teen, 2 dogs.
Husband has been WFH for years.

We are on 3/4 acre with an orchard and big veg garden.
I used to feel terribly guilty about having so much house, especially as we doubled the size when we moved from the city, and hankered after a tiny house for years. However with Covid,  I now fully appreciate the space, and have taken the 'visitors room' as my personal craft/yoga/music/napping centre.

$1200 AUD council tax yearly
Solar panels so $0 electricity bill
Water and gas $200 approx monthly

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2021, 08:48:51 AM »
I don't actually know! The original listing is a bit less than 1000 sq ft, but at some point a medium sized family room was added on to the back. We have a full basement which is finished but quirky (the house was built in 1960.) We also have a detached 2 car garage. It's your basic 3 bedroom small starter house from that era.

We've lived here for 24 years. At one point we had 2 adults, 3 kids, 5 cats, a big dog, and a bunny, and it was fairly cozy. We now have 3 adults and 2 cats.

It's not a fancy house. The closets are quite small. We seem to be pretty darned comfortable.
So is it the small closets that make you Cranky? Asking for a friend...

Update!

We are cleaning out the house because we are moving out of state. This is our big downsize! The stuff that I am finding lurking in the deep dark corners of those little closets is... amazing. LOL

We are down to 2 adults and 1 cat, and the house is feeling extremely spacious. It would be palatial for just the 2 of us, honestly.

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2021, 09:52:03 PM »
1140 square feet.  2 people. Not big enough.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2021, 06:55:58 AM »
1,440 square feet, 3 bedroom/3 bath single story home with 500 sq feet finished basement area & 300 square feet basement workshop plus 500 square feet attached garage & 150 square feet covered back porch. 2 adults, 1 kid & 1 cat.

During COVID work from home & learn from home, the extra bedroom office & basement separate workspace has been really nice.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2021, 01:16:39 PM »
We've spent a year now living in our 645sq ft place and it's ideal, we even managed one of us working FT from home. Two adults and a small dog.

It sits above a double garage and storage room which is the same space again but we are parking two vehicles and 3 bikes easily - the garage stuff fits on shelving on one wall of each garage.

We definitely couldn't do a tiny house, this is as small as we go. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!