Author Topic: How many square feet is your home? And number of occupants.  (Read 20247 times)

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: How many square feet is your home? And number of occupants.
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
Wow all the US ones seem really big. I think new Aussie homes are generally on par, but we (2 adults) currently live in an older 3 bed which is roughly 1185sqft including the garage which sits on an eighth of an acre lot. We are moving into a 650sqft apartment with double garage which means similar overall area but much more effective for our needs. Our vehicles can be undercover at last and I'll have a hobby space.

rab-bit

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2020, 04:14:50 AM »
Two adults (empty nesters) plus one fat cat. Our current 3 br, 2.5 ba townhouse is about 1650 sq ft but we will be selling it soon and moving into a 2 br, 2 ba, 1350 sq ft condo that we are  in the process of renovating in preparation for our retirement this coming spring.

RobertFromTX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »
1,430 sqft, 2/2. two people - I (35M) own the home and rent out the downstairs bedroom to another individual.

It's not the most convenient having a room mate, but its one of the better financial decisions I've made.

meandmyfamily

• Stubble
« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2020, 07:07:39 PM »
2156 sq feet with 6 people and 2 big dogs

PGSD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »
1910 square feet (4B/2.5Ba/2 car garage) for two adults, two dogs, and a lot of "stuff" (most is mine).

It's interesting to see everyone's home size as most of my friends have homes MUCH bigger than mine. I've always felt my house was a bit small (though, a recent remodel opened things up).

Of course, if I had another garage space and more bedrooms, I'd just collect more vehicles and "stuff" so...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2020, 11:45:25 PM »
I answered this question way upthread. However, we recently moved my MIL into a board and care. Bonus kid has a full time job, but often works extended hours, so he's not home the way he used to be. Suddenly, this 4BR, 3 bath 2648 sf house feels way too big. Its a strange feeling. DH and I talked about it. We're going to stay put until he retires, because he lives being able to walk to work. Hopefully we can launch the kid by then and really go smaller.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2020, 07:22:56 AM »
2100 sq ft plus a partly finished basement but no attic or garage or shed for 2 adults, 4 kids, and 1 cat. 3 beds, 1.5 bath, 1 closet that became a nursery that will become a bathroom someday. I wish we had more smaller bedrooms and a better downstairs layout but 15 ft wide rowhouses are limited in their options. I do not want less space because currently the kids are little and home a lot, I don't work, my husband works from home sometimes, and we entertain at least once a week. Maybe we could downsize when we spend less time at home. Someday years from now I imagine a 2 bed duplex where we have the other half for kids at the holidays and airbnb it the rest of the time.

ronsbusa3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2020, 01:49:21 PM »
Our house is 3200sf with a finished basement also. Just DW and myself and a cat. If only I could of found MMM before 2011. We just bought our early retirement house in August in North Carolina  1927sf  and are renting it out till we move in 2022.

tyrannostache

• Stubble
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2020, 02:45:30 PM »
Current home: 1900 sf single family home.
2 adults, 2 young kids, 1 large dog.

4 bedrooms. One is devoted to the spouse's office (work from home). The kids were sharing a room by choice until a few months ago, so the third bedroom was a playroom/guest room. When the big kid (7) started advocating for her own space, we let her move there.   

2 baths (1 full, 1 3/4). The second shower is not necessary, but I would not want to go down to 1 bathroom again. We all wake up around the same time in the morning.

2-car detached garage, smallish.
We have a bike for each family member as well as camping gear, skis and snowshoes. Enough to fill up the margins of the garage.

Due to spouse's new job, we're getting ready to move to a higher COL city nearby. We're looking at maybe 3br, probably 1500sf tops.

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2020, 08:48:56 PM »
Just under 1900 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage

2 adults, 1 teen full time and one college student sometimes.  Also a dog and a few cats.  I have my home gym occupying about 150sq ft and two home offices occupying another 200 sq ft.  Feels fine, though the kitchen gets a bit crowded when 2 or more of us are working together on dinner.

BruceWayne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2020, 09:20:07 PM »
3400.  4 people and 1 dog.

E.T.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »
1200 sq ft, 2 beds, 1 bath for 2 adults. We have overnight guests about once a month and about twice a year a bunch of family comes over for extended visits. I loved this house and we made it work, often with 5-6 guests staying for a week during the holidays. A very well laid out small house can be better than a house with a lot of wasted space in closets and bedrooms.

My next house will be much bigger at 2600sqft with 4 beds / 4 baths but we'll add a roommate and hopefully we'll be starting a family soon. Having extra bathrooms will be a huge plus with the amount of frequent guests we have. I'm going to go a little crazy with all the extra space I think. It's going to be too much house but the location is going to be worth it.

grobinski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd - 02.03.20!
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »
1600sqt, 1-1/2 story 1921 bungalow (500 sqft attic is normally unheated/cooled guest space),  3br, 2ba, full basement (shop/studio),  2 car garage

2 adults +2 cats

We recently FIREd and are contemplating some sot of a shift but it would be tough to fin a place we would like as much that would meet our criteria. There is an active Zillow search for that unicorn.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2020, 08:49:51 AM »
1300 sq ft, one adult, one teen, cat, dog. (Canada)

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
2060 sq ft- 4 people-US

Fire2029

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2020, 07:31:54 AM »
4600 Sq. Ft., 4 People - Two Adults, 12 year old, 9 year old. One 90 pound lab. 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, home theater, 3 car garage, pool.

So this is the story of how we ended up with a McMansion. We had a 2100 Sq Ft 3/2 with a two car garage that wouldn’t really fit two cars. I work from home, and was pretty much forced to work in the master bedroom. There were times I felt like the kids were on top of us. We didn’t have a guest room and my parents live out of state.

I wanted an office. My wife wanted a pool. My parents actually thought sleeping in a race car bed was cool, but we wanted a guest room.

I looked at finishing our upstairs with 2 more bedrooms and adding a pool. We were looking at 120k in spend, and based on comps adding about 30k to the value of our house. And we would still be stuck with a “2 car” garage that fit one car.

We started looking at what was in the market in our school district. The next logical step was the 3000 Sq. Ft range. Houses in this range were generally 4/2.5 with a two car garage and sometimes a bonus room. We can make this work, we would have to do double duty with an office/guest room. Some of them had pools. None of them had three car garages.

While we were driving around we found a house in a neighborhood we thought we couldn’t afford. It had been on the market, but the water heater burst and did a ton of damage. The owner already lived out of state, one of my buddies was his brother and babysitting the renovation after the water damage. 5/3.5 with bonus room, pool, three car garage. The owner just wants to unload this thing as soon as possible after the repair. The water heater damage caused him to miss summer relocation season after his buyer fell through.

We put it under contract at 95 a square foot, got to pick our finishes (paint, hardwood) and got everything we wanted out of a house. The place next door just sold for $109 per sq ft and is the same size.

Staunch Aim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2020, 11:58:46 AM »
1100 Sq Ft. 3 adults & 3 bedrooms filled by myself & 2 tenants, all male. 

One (25) is a doctorate student at the medical college down the road, the other (30) works in the marijuana industry.

Aegishjalmur

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »
Under 120 sq f for 2 adults and a 20 lb dog, had a 2nd 20 lb dog until about a year ago. We live and travel full time in a high roof Dodge Promaster. 19 ft 9 inches from bumper to bumper so the 120 sq ft is the entire length, about 72 sq ft if you just count the cargo area, a little bit more if you count the driver and passenger seat area.

BicycleB

• Handlebar Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »
^Photos??

I'd love to see your setup! Don't need any identifying info like license plates, just curious about living in more compact spaces.