Author Topic: How many square feet is your home? And number of occupants.  (Read 28922 times)

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
Re: How many square feet is your home? And number of occupants.
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2019, 01:33:52 PM »
The one thing that I think keeps us unsure if as the kids grow up and some might start families of their own (though right now all of them are insistent they are not getting married or having any kids, but they still are barely 20 with the oldest) we could not have them come over, but it seems wasteful to own a big house just to have a once a year Thanksgiving or something.

My mother-in-law told me, when we bought our house, "As your kids get older, your family doesn't get smaller, it gets larger."

You have time before the kids all grow up and move out to see what seems likely. In our case, our three oldest daughters and their husbands and the five (so far) grandkids all ended up living within a couple of blocks of us. We have 15-person dinners almost weekly. I wish I could take some of the bedroom space and magically add it to the dining room and living room!

You are a very popular parent/grandparent!

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »
2100 square feet. 2 Adults and 2 giant cats.
Definitely more than I need.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2019, 03:24:08 PM »
960sqft plus an extra deep 1 car garage for two adults, a large dog, and two cats. We basically don't use one of the bedrooms so we could probably go down to 7-800. My main concern of we were to have a kid would be wanting another bathroom once it started potty training
Updating to add details:

TLDR version: we're pretty minimalist, but have room for bikes, a VR system, game nights with friends (including tons of board games), and tools for remodeling work. We rarely have overnight guests but can house 1 or 2 at a time.

2 Bed, 1 Bath townhome with an extra deep 1 car garage, a driveway big enough for 1 car, the possibility of a free spot in the HOA guest parking, or plenty of street parking just outside of the HOA (we're right on the edge so actually more convenient than the guest spots).

We both drive so whoever gets home first gets the garage spot, and the other person gets the driveway. Occasionally, if timing doesn't work out, we'll drive the other person's car and it's no big deal. We each have a bike which fit fine in the garage with the car. We have shelving in there to hold tools (including a folding table saw, a chop saw, and everything else we used to remodel the house), camping gear, and any miscellaneous stuff we don't want in the house. I have a pile of things to be donated out there too and once they're gone it will be downright spacious.

Inside there's a galley kitchen which is wider than you typically see and well setup with counters on each side of the stove and next to the fridge. I don't use a lot of single purpose kitchen stuff (though you can pry my rice cooker out of my cold dead hands) so everything fits pretty well even though it's fairly small. When we remodeled I insisted on an over-the-range microwave to open up counter space.

The living room is large enough to play VR in, and we opted to use folding tv trays instead of a coffee table to make this easier (and get rid of flat surfaces to accumulate crap).

There's a semi-formal dining room. We bought a table with self-storing leaves so when it's just the two of us there's plenty of room to get around it, but will extend to easily seat 6, and cozily seat 8. The table has 4 chairs and we have two camp chairs and a computer chair as spares when needed.  There's also two bookshelves with 18" deep cabinets on the bottom half that store our books and board games (plus another bottom cabinet part in the living room for more games). We host D&D sessions often and board game nights once a month. We have had friends bring extra chairs and folding tables to set up in the living room and office when we've hosted larger-than-normal game nights with multiple games going

The bathroom is very standard-bathroom-esque but has a closet with the washer and dryer in it. I opted for a stacked set so we could have a custom cabinet built in there and add quite a bit of storage for linens, cleaning supplies, etc.

One bedroom is a bedroom and only has bedroom things (bed, dressers, night stands, clothes, dog bed).

The other bedroom is in progress (and the one I said we rarely use and could do without) but will become my office/exercise room with computer desk, a loveseat sized sofa bed (don't own yet, but it's on the list to buy, for now we use an air mattress) for the occasional guests, and small exercise stuff like a few sets of dumbbells and a foam roller. We can accommodate 1-2 overnight guests, but when my in-laws visit with my two pre-k nieces they get a hotel room.  The closet in there is our catch-all closet for things that don't belong anywhere else plus DH's Warhammer stuff and some miscellaneous D&D stuff we don't use regularly.

We have a fenced in yard, but it's shared with our adjoining 4 neighbors (5 unit townhome). We have an end unit so we get the side and directly behind us so it's quite a bit of space. We got a 30' run line for the dog so we can tie him out to do his business, but he's very lazy and spends most of his time inside. It would be harder to have the shared back yard with a high energy dog.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2019, 03:44:05 PM »
I don't actually know! The original listing is a bit less than 1000 sq ft, but at some point a medium sized family room was added on to the back. We have a full basement which is finished but quirky (the house was built in 1960.) We also have a detached 2 car garage. It's your basic 3 bedroom small starter house from that era.

We've lived here for 24 years. At one point we had 2 adults, 3 kids, 5 cats, a big dog, and a bunny, and it was fairly cozy. We now have 3 adults and 2 cats.

It's not a fancy house. The closets are quite small. We seem to be pretty darned comfortable.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2019, 11:07:00 PM »
I don't actually know! The original listing is a bit less than 1000 sq ft, but at some point a medium sized family room was added on to the back. We have a full basement which is finished but quirky (the house was built in 1960.) We also have a detached 2 car garage. It's your basic 3 bedroom small starter house from that era.

We've lived here for 24 years. At one point we had 2 adults, 3 kids, 5 cats, a big dog, and a bunny, and it was fairly cozy. We now have 3 adults and 2 cats.

It's not a fancy house. The closets are quite small. We seem to be pretty darned comfortable.
So is it the small closets that make you Cranky? Asking for a friend...

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2019, 09:05:56 PM »
I've gone through the entire thread and I think we have the biggest house for 2 adults so I deserve a facepunch.
2804 sqft one story house to be exact.
We went from 1560 sqft to 2204 sqft to now.
Its a one yr old new construction house. Don't know why we decide to buy this house but I knew I wanted a 3 car garage.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2019, 09:09:02 PM »
I've gone through the entire thread and I think we have the biggest house for 2 adults so I deserve a facepunch.
Its a one yr old new construction house. Don't know why we decide to buy this house but I knew I wanted a 3 car garage.
Lol, the three car, 1050 sf garage was a big factor in the purchase of our house, too. We've never parked one of our cars in it.

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2019, 09:38:46 PM »
1495 sq ft. 2 adults, a dog and a cat. Hopefully a few little humans soon.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2019, 03:26:02 AM »
100 square meters (which is 1076 square feet) and a basement for 2 adults, a 1 year old and 2 cats.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2019, 09:07:15 AM »
So I wonder if the small homes as a historic thing really is a historic thing.

We just bought a home built in the 1820's a rental. The original footprint is 30X40 feet, 2 storeys tall. That's 2400 SF of living space. Some time in the early 1900's an addition was put on the back to add a "modern" kitchen. The addition is 18X25 feet. So in the early 1900's (100 yrs ago) this place was pushing 3,000SF. In the 1980's a third addition (18X15ft) was added on and the space over the kitchen converted to bedrooms... but even though the house grew, it had been cut into 2 apartments so that individual dwellings were smaller.

If a family was living in 3,000 SF, with coal heat and cast iron plumbing 100 yrs ago, then I think our eco-footprint on a modern home with gas or clean electric heat, better insulation, airtight windows, etc. is miles ahead, and not too far out of line today. Am I wrong?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »

We just bought a home built in the 1820's a rental. The original footprint is 30X40 feet, 2 storeys tall. That's 2400 SF of living space. Some time in the early 1900's an addition was put on the back to add a "modern" kitchen. The addition is 18X25 feet. So in the early 1900's (100 yrs ago) this place was pushing 3,000SF. In the 1980's a third addition (18X15ft) was added on and the space over the kitchen converted to bedrooms... but even though the house grew, it had been cut into 2 apartments so that individual dwellings were smaller.

If a family was living in 3,000 SF, with coal heat and cast iron plumbing 100 yrs ago, then I think our eco-footprint on a modern home with gas or clean electric heat, better insulation, airtight windows, etc. is miles ahead, and not too far out of line today. Am I wrong?

I remember reading once that the size of US families peaked around 1900 or so; life expectancy beyond infancy was improving, but large families were still valued.  And then there is a quick drop off from the depression onward. So if you are in the US it makes sense that your place got bigger until 1900ish.

I live in a small town of "historic houses" and they really range in size - our blocks tend to have the oldest (and larger) houses on the corner usually (Victorian farm or Greek revival), filled in with craftsmen and American small house towards the center of the block. 

For instance, my house was built around 1850 and is just over 1700 sqft. On our other corners are 2k sqft farm house from the 1860s, a 1930s cape and a small bungalow that started out as the carriage house for a larger house on the other end of the block (queen anne style). But every house in our corner is less than 2k square feet.

You can't find a free standing, non-retirement new build in our area under  2700 ft.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:09:21 AM by StarBright »

gannowar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2019, 09:56:36 AM »
500 sq ft one bedroom apartment. Two adults, one kid, sometimes three kids.

Splashncash

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
1280 sqft for two adults, two kids (16 and 11), and I work from home.  Perfect size for us.  Lots of outdoor living here.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2019, 12:27:08 PM »

For USA, article from National Institutes of Health seems to say that square footage per person doubled from from 1891 to 2010, but house sizes remained roughly constant; the number of occupants per dwelling simply fell by half.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4532357/

Not sure where the data on eco-efficiency would be, per se. But we'd need to double the efficiency in the measured unit (say, tons of carbon released per year) per sq ft to achieve equal results per person. The article may have some of the details in it; didn't have to time to read past the first 2 pages.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2019, 03:27:09 PM »
Lol, the three car, 1050 sf garage was a big factor in the purchase of our house, too. We've never parked one of our cars in it.

All 3 cars are parked inside ours. Another facepunch for having an extra car. Its a S2000 that I've had for over 10 yrs. Can't get myself to sell it.
When we moved all our junks in, we could only get 2 cars in so I said to myself that I've bought a 3 car garage house and dammit, I will park 3 cars in it.

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2019, 03:36:01 PM »
1900 sq ft, 2 adults, 4 (homeschooled!) kids, 1 dog.  On an acre, we kick the kids outside OFTEN!!!

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2019, 11:31:10 PM »
1,600 square feet (2,500 if you include the basement). 2 adults, a 4 year old and a 2 year old.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2019, 07:12:50 AM »
~1300 square feet, 1 permanent occupant.   1000 square feet would easily be enough if I didn't have a guest room.

MoStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2019, 04:26:51 PM »
1000 sq ft, two adults. No basement, no attic, no garage.

Kayaks live on the minivan's roof rack, bicycles live in the communal bike shed.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2019, 03:34:02 AM »

For USA, article from National Institutes of Health seems to say that square footage per person doubled from from 1891 to 2010, but house sizes remained roughly constant; the number of occupants per dwelling simply fell by half.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4532357/

Not sure where the data on eco-efficiency would be, per se. But we'd need to double the efficiency in the measured unit (say, tons of carbon released per year) per sq ft to achieve equal results per person. The article may have some of the details in it; didn't have to time to read past the first 2 pages.

Yes back in the olden days people had more kids and multiple generations under one roof was more common.  Also, servants often lived with wealthier families.  The nineteenth century apartment where I grew up in NYC had a "maid's room" even though it wasn't that big (2 bedrooms apart from the maid's room, which was tiny and one bathroom).

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2019, 05:09:38 AM »
3500 sf, 6 bedrooms.  3 adults, 1 teenager and a rescue dog with complicated lineage.

Certainly wasn't looking for a house this big, but it works well for us.  We moved to a much lower COL area when I retired and housing was a bargain by comparison to the DC area.

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2019, 09:05:42 AM »
~800 square feet + balcony, for 2 adults & 2 cats.

We never really feel we need more 'space' but would love more 'spaces' if that makes sense. It is bedroom + bathroom + everything else is open plan. We have a huge walk-in-closet that would provide the square footage for a den or a second small bedroom if things were reconfigured. We would most like another room-with-a-door-you-can-close to turn into a guestroom, and it would also be really useful to be able to put more than 1 wall between us at any given time. MrKat works nights and I can't even make a phonecall while he's sleeping without waking him. That makes it fairly impractical for me to call my family members for a lot of weekends (different timezone) or to work from home (in case I need to call in to a meeting).

That all said, it is totally enough, and we plan on up-sizing soon, but that's all definitely wants, not needs.

sneeds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »
1267 sq ft. single story ranch style house, 3bd 2bth with a 2 car garage. 2 adults, 3 kids (ages 5 and under) and a medium size dog living here. The house is a little small for us, mostly because I work full time from home so we currently have one of the bedrooms set up as my office. The two older kids share a room and the baby sleeps in our bedroom, but we're going to need to come up with a different solution soonish. I'd like to either add a room onto the house that could serve as my office/a guest room, or perhaps build a backyard studio office. Not sure if we'll be able to stay in this house as the kids get bigger, though. I look around and think that it works for now but it might feel a bit cramped when they're teenagers. 

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2019, 01:59:47 PM »
2500 sqft for 2 adults + 1 kid + 1 cat. More that we need but one of the smaller houses in the community. Love the neighborhood.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:02:23 PM by Krolik »

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2019, 03:04:36 PM »
3,400 sf for two adults and two kids (4 and 2), 4 bedroom, plus office, 3.5 baths. 3 car garage, the 1,000 sf plus basement is finished but only has toys in it.

we bought the house to be within a few miles of our work
the extra bedroom is used for visiting grand parents only and is useless otherwise
the basement is mostly useless
there is an entry way room/formal dining area that is useless

i like the big garage but is 1/2 useless

the area is affluent and there isnt really any other option besides these big McMansions if you want to live close to work

Anoushka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2019, 11:59:56 AM »
3000 sq ft. with a large garage and a 400 sq ft. apartment off the garage. Two adults, three children and a dog.

It is too big for us. Would be okay without the apartment. We were looking nine years ago when there was hardly anything on the market in our city. In fact, this house wasn't on the market--it was a rental next door to some friends of ours who were tired of the terrible tenants the owners kept renting to. So we asked the owner if she would consider selling, and she sold it to us.

Renting out part of your house is not allowed in our community, and they are strict about it. We have had family living in the apartment, but don't really like sharing walls with people outside our immediate family.

popcornflying

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2019, 04:05:01 PM »
3100 sqft if you include the unfinished basement, for two adults and two cats. 2100 sqft finished space.  We downsized from 2800 sqft finished space plus a 1400 unfinished basement, which was too much, especially since it was an old house and things broke constantly.

I heard on a real estate podcast once, "You need a big house so that when you and your spouse fight, you can get away from each other. Also you can do War of the Roses"

John74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2019, 05:14:41 AM »
50 square meters (~540 sq ft) for one adult. It is the perfect amount of space for me.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »
@John74, is that a free standing home? Rented backyard cottage? Or some sort of apartment, like a garage apartment?

Just curious. If I ever move, I might be interested in looking for similar.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
We have about 1350sf for 4 adults and 3 kids. Do I win? Lol jk.

It's a SFH converted to a duplex. The upstairs has about 500sf. Kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom. It's currently inhabited by a couple with a baby. Downstairs is about 840sf and it's me, my husband, 4yo, 1yo in 2br, bathroom, kitchen, living room, dining room. I sometimes wish we had more space for guests but for our own family it's more than enough. We do have an unfinished basement in which are the washer, dryer, and some storage space. We also have a 2car detached garage where things like bicycles live.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2019, 04:08:38 AM »
My city introduced new zoning ordinances last week.  With minimum house sizes.  If you want to build a house, it has to be at least as big as the average house within 400 feet of you on the same road.  So, if I own a lot between a house that's 1000 sf and one that 2000 sf and I build a house, that house must be at least 1500 sf.  If I build a 3000 sf house, then any future houses on that block would have to be at least 2000 sf.

I would almost be okay with saying that you can't build anything smaller than the smallest existing house, but by using the average, it ensures that sizes (and thus property tax) has to go up over time. 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2019, 05:31:20 AM »
Currently in an oversized 2500-3000 ft sq house for 3-4 adults, 3 dogs and 1 cat - will be flipped. Its way too big.
Renovating a 800 ft sq house for 2 adults and 3 dogs to move into. I'm feeling a bit apprehensive that this will be too small, however this thread reassures me.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2019, 05:35:34 AM »
My city introduced new zoning ordinances last week.  With minimum house sizes.  If you want to build a house, it has to be at least as big as the average house within 400 feet of you on the same road.  So, if I own a lot between a house that's 1000 sf and one that 2000 sf and I build a house, that house must be at least 1500 sf.  If I build a 3000 sf house, then any future houses on that block would have to be at least 2000 sf.

I would almost be okay with saying that you can't build anything smaller than the smallest existing house, but by using the average, it ensures that sizes (and thus property tax) has to go up over time.

But...why??

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »

But...why??

Because poor people are bad. 

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2019, 10:19:21 AM »
We just moved locally because we in an awfully inefficient setup.

Old house: 2800sf, went from 4 adults to 2 adults 1 kid
New house: 1400sf, still the two of us and a kid.

We really like the new house! The 1400sf is slightly misleading- it doesn't count the 600sf unfinished basement ( full of CRAP from the old house that we are working on), and it has a weird room the size of a single car garage that we will be working on. It has an unused wood stove etc taking up space, so the usable sf of the house is closer to 1200 + a basement. It's more than enough, I would rather have a smaller house with a larger (2 car) garage for bikes and tools, but it's OK, and we got a great deal on the place. (Fixer upper) - It feels slightly small, but nicely cozy, and is HUGE by international standards.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2019, 10:51:24 AM »

But...why??

Bigger houses = more property tax. 

This is especially ridiculous considering that the median income for a household in my county is just under $45k/year.

bonesmtb2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2019, 09:48:20 AM »
1200 sq. ft.  3 bed, 1 bath.  2 adults, 2 kids, and a large dog.  Buying this house, and not spending more money on something larger, has probably been my best financial decision to date.  Allowed me to be laid off and find a new job without being strapped.
Also, buying in 2012, after the crash, was nice too.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
500sf one bedroom rental for one adult, no pets or kids.

It’s a 1970s building with a weird, inefficient layout - the units are all shaped like pizza slices, with curved walls in awkward places and not nearly enough right angles.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2019, 08:10:45 AM »
160 SF, one person. I guess you could say 320 SF for two people as I have a shared bathroom with a person on the other side of the shipping container we're currently living in.

Beats my last deployment though. Back then I had an area the size of a sheet of plywood (4'x8' or 32 SF) in a tent with 9 other guys.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2019, 11:42:32 AM »
160 SF, one person. I guess you could say 320 SF for two people as I have a shared bathroom with a person on the other side of the shipping container we're currently living in.

Beats my last deployment though. Back then I had an area the size of a sheet of plywood (4'x8' or 32 SF) in a tent with 9 other guys.

Now that gives us all some perspective!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
1,400 livable sq. feet, 4 small bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.  2 adults, and one day a week we have 2 grandchildren here.
We host small family holiday gatherings several times a year, and typically host overnight guests 1-2x/year.

Property also has an attached 2 car garage, a new backyard 10' x 15 sq. foot shed, and a screened in porch along the entire back of the house. 

GreenIvy66

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2019, 01:14:07 PM »
2,045 sqft for 2 adults and one cat.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2019, 12:13:28 AM »
1600 (plus unfinished basement) for 3 ppl. It’s too much.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2019, 01:27:28 AM »
600sqf for 1 adult, sometimes 3, plus 500sqf rooftop. Immense for Hong Kong where I live, and after the 150sqf I previously called home.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2019, 02:04:34 AM »
Our house is a total of ~3000 sq ft + a 400 sq ft detached garage. And a greenhouse + a little playhouse for the kids.
Of the house abut 2250 sq ft is considered "living space" the rest is in the basement with storage, a room with the technical stuff (heating system, water boiler etc), washing room etc. Its an old house and it was common to have the basement as non-living-space and lower ceiling than the main floors. I have a small mancave down there, however.

We are 2 adults and 2 kids. 3 bedrooms + one that is hardly ever used - guests sleep there when visiting. And a small office. So guess it's technically 5 bedrooms.

For a detached family home ours is slightly on the large side for the area.

Fire2029

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2019, 07:38:03 PM »
4600 Sq Ft. of finished above grade space, no basement. 5 bed, 4 bath, Bonus room.

Two Adults, Two kids, one 80 pound lab. One bedroom is guest bedroom, one is my office.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2019, 08:04:17 PM »
3000 sq. ft. for 7 people - 4 adults and 3 kids.

bookguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »
2400 square feet. Originally had 2 adults and one child, now just one adult.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
Wow all the US ones seem really big. I think new Aussie homes are generally on par, but we (2 adults) currently live in an older 3 bed which is roughly 1185sqft including the garage which sits on an eighth of an acre lot. We are moving into a 650sqft apartment with double garage which means similar overall area but much more effective for our needs. Our vehicles can be undercover at last and I'll have a hobby space.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2020, 04:14:50 AM »
Two adults (empty nesters) plus one fat cat. Our current 3 br, 2.5 ba townhouse is about 1650 sq ft but we will be selling it soon and moving into a 2 br, 2 ba, 1350 sq ft condo that we are  in the process of renovating in preparation for our retirement this coming spring.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!