Author Topic: Housing Issue. May need Mustachian Realtor in San Diego  (Read 2726 times)

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
Housing Issue. May need Mustachian Realtor in San Diego
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
I have a dilemma.

We own a single family home in San Diego. We've owned it for about 12 years. We lived in it for 5 and have rented it for the remainder.

Some years ago we had to move out of the state and have since rented the property on a yearly basis. (rented because we were unable to sell on short notice and probably upside down)

As of today, Zillow estimates a value of around $335k.  We owe something like $250 or thereabouts.
I have contacted a friend and former realtor who is looking into the comps but, he's super busy and I think I may need to find someone who is full time in the area.

My problem is that we usually get the home rented rather easily even though it requires some phone juggling on my end to accomplish this. There is some cash flow but looking at the possibility of selling and putting a large chunk of cash into our pockets for either our next home or to pay down some debt seems like a better option.

I have a ton of things on my plate and was thinking that I'd just put it out there. Wonder if you guys might have some ideas, or a referral? Heck, there's got to be a few mustachian SoCal realtors floating around...

Just curious.

Suggestions? Ideas?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:44:56 AM by thurston howell iv »

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
Re: Housing Issue. May need Mustachian Realtor in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
64 views and nobody?

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »
Nosy about the "issue", but don't live in San Diego. Best of luck, though.

Bruinguy

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »
I found that I was able to get a good idea of the comps myself by using redfin (www.redfin.com) or Zillow to search for recently sold homes in my area.  Redfin has filters that you can use to narrow the search to more similar homes (e.g., by number of bedrooms, baths, square feet, etc.).  I'm not sure about Zillow.

For what its worth, I have not been impressed with "zestimates."   It seems that homes that have not been sold for a long time have very high zestimates compared to ones that have more recently sold (even right next door).

Good luck!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
I don't know anyone personally, sorry, but I can ask friends of friends if you need, I'm sure I can get a decent recommendation.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 10:34:05 AM »
Any recommendations would be great! Need someone who does work in the Oceanside (north county) area.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 11:04:22 PM »
Is the house in Oceanside or San Diego? The real estate markets/demographics are rather different, imho.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!