Poll

Remodeling a small colonial 2 story house for a nightly rental, convert 3rd small bed to bath or leave as bedroom?

Convert small 3rd bedroom to a bathroom, making the house a 2 bed 2 bath
20 (83.3%)
leave the small 3rd bedroom as is, with room for single bed or bunk beds
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: house rental configuration - 3 bed/1 bath or 2 bed/2 bath?  (Read 5366 times)

Kevin Aster Tin Obin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
house rental configuration - 3 bed/1 bath or 2 bed/2 bath?
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:50:41 AM »
To fellow landlord, side hustlers, rental home hosts, travelers, readers,

Fixing up an old 1800s colonial house with waterfront in coastal new England.  Looking to attract summer vacationers for AIRBNB / VRBO rental.  Last year setup our first AirBNB in another property and had over 150 nights filled in a small 2 person place.  This house could sleep 6-8 people, but predicament is should I leave it 1 bathroom, or make 2 baths?  The home is small 1000 S.F 2 story house, OK location but on the water and can attract transient boaters looking for overnight, as well as beach goers and city folk looking for a weekend getaway.  House is small and thought may be better to add second bath so 2 couples could rent it or family with kids and have separate baths.  Alternatively, it is a 3 bed now that could have 2 queen beds and bunk-beds in the third small bedroom, and even a pull out couch in Living room, but that could cramp a 1 bath home.  Your thoughts if you were planning a weekend away or if you have experience with nightly house rentals what is most desirable.

thank you

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
Re: house rental configuration - 3 bed/1 bath or 2 bed/2 bath?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 06:58:47 AM »
Interesting dilemma.  Around here short term rentals are often longer, weekly or monthly, and there's definitely a desire to have a bathroom for every bedroom.  For example, a few retired women wintering in Florida willing to share a house, but not share a bathroom with one another since they are used to much more privacy at home.  So a 3/2 would have rent split between 2 people the same as a 2/2 would.  Part of me thinks that would decrease if you've mostly got very short term renters (since you're not "settling in" in the same way you would for a longer term), but I'm not sure. 

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 07:28:12 AM »
From a "normal" 2 adult/2 kids family perspective, I would vote for 2 bedrooms/2 baths. That's the kind of setup we would prefer on vacation. The third bedroom would be mostly wasted, and we would really (really) prefer the 2nd bath. 

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 07:36:17 AM »
What do 3/1 vs 2/2 rent for in your area?  And for the ones that have their calendars posted, which are the busiest? 

jwright

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
As a person who rents through Air BnB, I would prefer two bathrooms.  We typically do a trip with two couples and would want separate bathroom.  If we were taking a trip with larger group and needed three bedrooms, I would try to find a 3/2 or 3/3. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 08:00:14 AM »
One of my major goals in life is to one day move to a place with insulation, double pane windows, and TWO TOILETS. Two full bathrooms would be a dream. Sharing a bathroom is tough even with just my husband and toddler. Throw in extended relatives or friends and it is almost impossible.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »
One of my major goals in life is to one day move to a place with insulation, double pane windows, and TWO TOILETS. Two full bathrooms would be a dream.

Ha, I feel the same way.  For a regular rental, I would think a 2/2 would be better, but for an AirBNB, I think that more sleeping capacity is key. 

The only real way to know is with comps though. 

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 09:09:38 AM »
Would it be possible to take about a third of one of the bedrooms for a second bathroom, and leave a tiny third bedroom?

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »
How many square feet are this small bedroom? Room for a half bath (toilet and sink)?

Kevin Aster Tin Obin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 10:34:42 AM »
property is 500 Sq Ft per floor, 3rd bed is 7x8 ft. 1st bath has tub, but is very small (5ft x6ft).  3rd bed which would be second bath is actually bigger room.

Don't see how to make 3 beds work with 2 bath unless I do addition on back of house.  Long tern plan to build separate garage with loft for more space/another rental, but zoning limits to only add another 900 sq ft roofed building space 

All this while trying to get house ready for summer season, goal is available in April to renters

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »
I guess I am the minority.

We are family of 4, 2 kids 2 adults.  Would strongly prefer a 3 bedroom.  If we stay in a 2 bedroom place, we end up putting one kid to bed in our room because they keep each other up.  Also, if we traveled with more people (we often travel with my parents) we could all fit in a 3 bedroom, but not a 2 bedroom. 

So I guess you should decide if you want to cater to families with little kids, or to groups of couples/adults. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
I would not want to share a single bath among 6-8 people.  No way, no how.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 02:30:14 PM »
I would not want to share a single bath among 6-8 people.  No way, no how.

+1

I wouldn't care if it could sleep 6-8 people because I would NOT share 1 bathroom with that many people. I would maybe consider it if it was 1.5 bathrooms and all other housing options were twice as expensive.

GoBigRed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »

We are family of 4, 2 kids 2 adults.  Would strongly prefer a 3 bedroom.  If we stay in a 2 bedroom place, we end up putting one kid to bed in our room because they keep each other up.  Also, if we traveled with more people (we often travel with my parents) we could all fit in a 3 bedroom, but not a 2 bedroom. 

So I guess you should decide if you want to cater to families with little kids, or to groups of couples/adults. 

I am in the minority as well.  But would also prefer 3 bedrooms, 1 bath for similar reasons. 

For us we typically rent vacation rentals with a set of grandparents and a child, so having 3 separate bedrooms is necessary. Even though many of the VRBOs we have rented sleep more people (6+), we usually only book with 5 people.  I guess it depends on who you think will most likely rent your property and the competition on the market. Also the cost of the conversion vs. how much extra you think it will bring you in rentals.

If you could squeeze a half bath in somewhere, that may be a nice compromise but sounds like this is not an option.

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »
7x8 is so tiny I wouldn't even call it a bedroom.   It's barely a good sized bathroom.  I'd convert it to the bath without a second thought.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »
I really don't like 1 bathroom rentals. If something breaks, it's an emergency. If you have 2 bathrooms, then it's an inconvenience, but not an emergency.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »
I vote for the 2/2, for the same reasons others have posted. Just furnish your two bedrooms so they sleep as many people as possible. And make the living room sleep-able, too. For 6 to 8 people who may not all be related--you need two bathrooms. For the folks who want three bedrooms--and I've done a lot of three-generational travel back in the day--put the kids in one bedroom, the grandparents in the other bedroom, and Mom and Dad on a sleeper sofa or something like that in the living room. Easy-peasy. And there you go--space for the second bathroom.

Kevin Aster Tin Obin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
I really don't like 1 bathroom rentals. If something breaks, it's an emergency. If you have 2 bathrooms, then it's an inconvenience, but not an emergency.

good point about a backup bathroom!

historienne

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »

This would be us, too. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
Can you add on a bath without sacrificing a bedroom? That should increase your resale value more than cannibalizing a bedroom. As to the tiny BR, put bunk beds in and make it as cute as possible. Kids are suckers for cool spaces and care less about square footage. Can you get rid of a closet to make space? An Air BNB guest doesn't need as much closet space as a long-term renter.

A malfunction in a 1BA is also more of an emergency for you, too.

redrocker

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 12:33:48 PM »
All this while trying to get house ready for summer season, goal is available in April to renters

In that case, unless you're hiring out the work I personally wouldn't attempt the conversion til your next off season. But that's just my experience with uncovering nasty surprises behind old walls.

kissthesky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »
I say 2/2 and add a pull-out couch to the living room. Boom, 3/2.