Author Topic: HGTV flipping shows  (Read 4269 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
HGTV flipping shows
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
Don't know if this belongs here in RE+Landlording or in Antimustachian Hall of Shame or somewhere else... but here goes:

I'm in the gym yesterday, watching HGTV's Masters of Flip (don't judge, it's the only place I get to watch cable TV as I've never had cable/satellite/streaming TV, plus I like DIY and RE). In this episode, the painter doesn't sand down the exterior wood siding before painting, so it's ugly painting with chips, etc clearly visible. Dave is contemplating lying to Kortney that the paint is bad, and bunch of other lies. Man up and tell the paint crew to start all over again. Lack of 'nads, I tell you.

Kortney doesn't like getting her hands dirty, when she's on a deadline of time and has only a $2000 budget for the front yard. (Don't you know how much you can do for $2000 if you do it yourself?)

Stupid shit like this reinforces my thinking that people on such shows spend more time doing fu-fu stuff instead of real DIY work. I don't think Dave did any real work. Dude, you know how much more profit you could make doing easy small tasks? Instead he's a fat slob. Meanwhile Kortney is drooling over the yard guys arms, noticing he's in shape without going to the gym. $20 says he be bangin' Kortney behind the camera, and Dave be cuckolded. He's pussified, totally.

/rant
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:33:35 AM by jinga nation »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: HGTV flipping shows
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 08:37:23 AM »
It's all a bunch of bullshit reality TV style manufactured drama around the vague idea of flipping a house.  Nobody actually conducts themselves like they do on those shows.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:10:26 AM »
Then there's the Flip n Flop couple, Tarek & Christina. I got an invitation to one of their RE events a couple of months back. Googled it, it's a front to take your money by making you sign up for another seminar.

See http://hookedonhouses.net/2016/02/10/success-path-real-estate-seminars/

I'm doing this making money scheme the wrong way. Fuck the slow and steady method, fast n loud is tha thang!

NathanP

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:18:23 AM »
While some of these shows may be entertaining, I question the math on the renovations.

In the "Love it or List it" show, you can apparently upgrade a kitchen for $20k, and your home value will magically increase by $30k. Spend $15k knocking down a few walls, and your home value goes up by $20k.

I get that if the home is unsafe in its current condition, the value of the home may be very low and a renovation will increase its value by more than the renovation price. The Flip show referenced by the OP is slightly better since they DO purchase terrible homes and make them livable. I can understand how they turn a profit doing that.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 09:24:06 AM »
This is the sucker factory:
http://www.hgtv.com/shows/be-on-hgtv

Want to be on HGTV? Your favorite show might be looking for potential guests.

PawPrint53

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
I get that if the home is unsafe in its current condition, the value of the home may be very low and a renovation will increase its value by more than the renovation price. The Flip show referenced by the OP is slightly better since they DO purchase terrible homes and make them livable. I can understand how they turn a profit doing that.

I watch these shows at the gym, too, and always wonder how they can remodel an entire kitchen for $10K, using granite and great looking cabinets and real wood flooring. We've remodeled a few kitchens and baths and only when we used Lowe's cabinets and Corian countertops (and no moving of walls or plumbing) in the kitchen did it not exceed the $10K they always mention. Actually, I think the total was $12K, and we did the demo ourselves.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »
I also love watching those trash TV shows on the cardio machines at the gym :) They are good for a laugh, and more bearable than the 90-day fiance show.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
Like all "reality" TV it's all scripted bullshit. Why don't you jam out to some music while working out?

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 09:06:40 AM »
While some of these shows may be entertaining, I question the math on the renovations.

In the "Love it or List it" show, you can apparently upgrade a kitchen for $20k, and your home value will magically increase by $30k. Spend $15k knocking down a few walls, and your home value goes up by $20k.

I swear that I saw that the budgets they show for upgrades are material costs only, and that labor is provided by the show, so that never bothered me.  If the cabinets/appliances are 20k but labor would have been another 20k, you get a 40k upgrade cost for people who don't get free labor, and the home value goes up 30k.  That's not impossible.  Perhaps I just made that up in my head to make sense of the ridiculous assertion, but I think I saw it either in an article or a footnote to one of the shows.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 11:40:57 AM »
A lot of the money my family has made in flipping houses can directly be related to the cost of labor.  Often it is a number that is low balled

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »

I watch these shows at the gym, too, and always wonder how they can remodel an entire kitchen for $10K, using granite and great looking cabinets and real wood flooring. We've remodeled a few kitchens and baths and only when we used Lowe's cabinets and Corian countertops (and no moving of walls or plumbing) in the kitchen did it not exceed the $10K they always mention. Actually, I think the total was $12K, and we did the demo ourselves.

Every time I see the "cost" it puzzles me.     They are doing "designer/custom" level kitchen remodels for almost what it would cost me to do a "basic" level?       

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 02:51:36 AM »

Every time I see the "cost" it puzzles me.     They are doing "designer/custom" level kitchen remodels for almost what it would cost me to do a "basic" level?       

They are also no doubt getting deals for being repeat customers.  A tile guy is going to charge them less for both parts and labor because they do 20 kitchens a year.  You do one.  Multiply that difference by every trade, every craftsman, and every supplier, and it is going to add up quickly.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »
Sure the shows are packaged. That's storytelling 101.

We have cable for my sanity. My MIL lives with us and has Alzheimer's. Left to her own devices, she'd watch Court TV all day. I hate the stupidity, so HGTV is our compromise. No swearing, no cheatin' spouses, no screamin' & shoutin'. Some days it is on all.damn.day. Therefore, I consider myself something of an expert on HGTV and DIY Network.

I think the shows that are most successful are the ones where the hosts have some kernel of likeability. Also, the show came after the couple was successfully in the business, not something that was created just for broadcast. (First-Time Flippers? Or whatever it's called. Buncha garbage.)

I have seen a handful of Masters of Flip episodes and I'm not a fan. Dave doesn't seem to do anything, and Kourtney (sp?) spends too much. It all seems too manufactured. Blech. There are a lot better shows out there. Not perfect, but better.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
Most of those shows, the participants already have either bought their house (house hunters) or are planning reno's (Fixer Upper).
The folks respond to auditions and may get picked depending other their monies and looks and fitting the scripts of the writers.
All the challenges always get worked out ...property brothers.
I remember reading that the House Flipper show gives maybe 10k towards an existing situation already in the works by owners.
Add some fluff and funny wisecracks by hubby or wife bam people glue themselves to the boob tube.
My mom has cable (I do not own a tv but mom has one) is the only reason I remotely found out the stuff above.
After a few visits with her, I googled how does this even really happen. 
All of it is covered on the web somewhere by a home town newspaper -
ie.  Local couple renovation will get extra help from Chip and Joanna of HGTV!

supomglol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 10:50:10 AM »
It is all completely fabricated.  I know a couple who were guest contractors on one of the shows - there was some mixup during the filming and they needed a few extra shots.  They asked if they could come do some filming at my house as I was in progress on my own heavy renovation at the time.  Basically said the film crew just needed some shots of them in a construction-y looking property (maybe nailing some nails or something else pointless).  Anyway, the friends were trusted so I lent them my house for their needs while I was at work for the day.  Still have the security camera footage of the whole film crew and whatnot showing up for a few hours and doing their thing, nobody probably even realized it wasn't the same house.