Author Topic: Have to replace a/c unit in rental - any recommendations?  (Read 1293 times)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
Have to replace a/c unit in rental - any recommendations?
« on: July 23, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »
The unit is two story and has 2 units.

Total size is about 2,500 sq ft. Downstairs unit won't cool below 80 degrees. About 1250 sq ft on first floor.

Any cost effective recommendations?

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Have to replace a/c unit in rental - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 05:23:40 AM »
No suggestions,  but just curious, what went wrong that requires full replacement?   Theres only a couple parts that warrant that IMHO.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 06:09:34 AM »
If the unit is running and cooling marginally, you may have a small leak of refrigerant and/or the unit just needs coolant.  The other possibility is the filters have not been changed regularly and something is blocked because of dirt.  Get a reputable AC company to make a service call.  Don't let them sell you a new unit if the old one can be repaired at a reasonable price.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »
Put in a mini split.  If you have an existing air handler and ducting then you could conceivably cool one room and recirc it to get budget cooling.  This is what I am leaning towards for one of my rentals.

Mini-split can be done for $1500 in materials for a single, top-name like Mitsubishi.  Then, if you don't have the tools and/or experience, pay an HVAC tech $300 to make final connections, evacuate, and charge the system.  In my case I have started doing my own HVAC so I'll just buy a vacuum pump and hoses next time.