Author Topic: Franklinton neighborhood in Columbus OH, thoughts?  (Read 1969 times)

mc6

• Stubble
Franklinton neighborhood in Columbus OH, thoughts?
« on: November 18, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »
For the central OH mustachians with boots on the ground, can anyone tell me how the Franklinton area is looking these days?  I am considering moving back to OH and that specific area's reported resurgence/arts scene/pretty central location to the city is appealing.  If you are familiar with it, I would appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks! 

thelamb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Franklinton neighborhood in Columbus OH, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 06:34:11 AM »
Good question.  I've looked into that area a number of times.  There are some cool new bars and restaurants, perhaps art galleries, and it's occasionally a destination for my friends and I who mostly live in the Short North or German Village.  The appeal is the really cheap properties (many houses for < $50k) in close proximity to downtown.  If you bike, it's close to everything.  In five years, if the city's plans to revitalize along the river, redo vet's memorial, the zoo, the mixed-use development, all that, some cool stuff could bleed into the neighborhood and give it some life. 

However, the big problem I have is that the houses themselves just don't have any historical value or charm, the way houses in Victorian Village, German Village, or even Old Towne East do, IMOP.  For this area to come back, I think smaller investors would need to buy up and remodel multiple houses per street and some larger investors would need to level and redo a handful of blocks, adding more density and room for local businesses. 

In short, if you're sitting on an extra $20-50k, you might want to consider buying a property or two and then either sitting or doing enough remodel to rent out while you wait to see which way the area goes.  Otherwise, I would look elsewhere.  Old Town East, Schumacher, and Italian Village would be higher on my list. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Franklinton neighborhood in Columbus OH, thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
grantmeaname can probably chime in here.

I'm working on a deal for 11 SFRs in Columbus, OH, (which is taking way too long due to the financial institutions involved) and he gave me some very helpful thoughts about the neighborhoods.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.