Author Topic: Flooring suggestions  (Read 1616 times)

SillyPutty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Flooring suggestions
« on: August 18, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »
I'm looking to do some light renovations in my 2nd floor unit (I live on the 1st floor), including new flooring in the living room, dining room, and two bedrooms.

Right now, it's carpet everywhere. The tenants who are moving out have been there for three years, and it's all stained and disgusting (obviously).

I'm thinking laminate wood for at least the dining and living rooms, but not sure about the bedrooms. I'm wondering if we should just replace them with new carpet. Since we live beneath, the carpet would probably help to better muffle stomping feet. I also have the impression that carpet is warmer, but not sure that's true—I've found articles that argue both sides (harder to heat vs. easier). But it's an old house in the northeast, so anything to keep in heat, the better.

Oh, speaking of old—there's a good chance when we pull up the carpet, there will be original hard floors underneath (that's what we have in our unit). If that's the case, we could also refinish them.

Any suggestions?

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
Re: Flooring suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:43:50 AM »
How old is the carpet? If it's not worn but just dirty it's amazing what a commercial grade steam cleaner vacuum  will do.

srad

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
If there are wood floors underneath, you refinish them.  Its the cheapest option and will last a very long time.

Shoot, if its been carpeted long enough you may not even have to refinish them.  I have all types of flooring in my units, carpet, wood floor and vinyl laminate.  None of my potential tenants have said i am not renting due to xx flooring in the bedroom. 

But yes, carpet is warmer on the feet...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Send a DM to Dicey. She spent years in the flooring business.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 09:59:22 AM »
i never understand the carpet thing... in my country its not common. I believe carpet might have been common 40 years ago or so...

In my opinion its less hygienic, more maintenance and more damage prone.

All my houses we have all hardwood+tiles. Sure enough i have only had rentals for about 4-5 years, however, my mother and grandmother have had rentals all their lives and I can't account a single time where we even had to do maintenance in our flooring.

Sure it's colder but nothing that a few rugs would not take care of

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
If you're worried about noise, you can replace the carpet with a vinyl wood plank, which is becoming expected and ubiquitous in many areas for rentals, and a noise reducing underlayment like Floor Muffler.  In the markets I work in carpet is strongly disfavored by owners and tenants.   

mrsnamemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
Whenever I have looked for a rental to live in I have immediately excluded anything with carpet. I assume that many others do the same, but maybe I am wrong?

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
Carpet is gross, I hate having it in any rental unit.

Steam cleaning for sure makes it cleaner, but it does not make it look nicer which is what matters to most tenants. You can always re-carpet for cheap, but it just takes a single spill to pretty much ruin it.

I like nail down laminate (cheap and easy) Hardwood, or even that luxury vinyl tile stuff.  LVT goes down super fast. Tile is also good but much harder and more likely to break due to wear and tear or a poor quality install.

YMMV depending on what your local conditions are.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!