Author Topic: First rental property decision advice  (Read 2371 times)

Stache In Training

• Stubble
First rental property decision advice
« on: August 18, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »
I am hoping to get into the real estate business, and hoping to get some advice/math checking.

I live in a college town, so the rental business is usually pretty strong.  I have an opportunity coming up on a duplex entering the market.  It's a small little house, but well taken care of.

Info:
New Sewer line in 2002
New furnace, 90% efficient, in 2003
Basement apartment constructed in 2004
New roof in 2008
Interior rooms and exterior trim painted in 2013
Includes, 2 refrigerators, 2 apartment size ranges, 2 clothes washers and 2 dryers.

Income:
Two bedroom upstairs- $755  Currently leased until July 31, 2015
One bedroom downstairs- $465  Currently leased until July 31, 2015

The tenants have not been given access to a small garage.  The current owner uses it to store some lawn care stuff and overflow from their garage. Potentially another $50 –$75/ month.  New concrete floor in garage and driveway done around 2007.

Total- $1220/month, $14,640/Yr

Current Expenses (Annual)
Owner pays utilities, not easily split in this property.
Electric- $1340
Gas- $450
Cable- $859  Current owner not completely kosher on the cable here.  They only have one service and its split between the tenants.  This was a remnant from when their children lived there.  Might just make tenants responsible for their own cable in future leases.
Mun. Serv- $1230
Insurance- $488
Taxes- $800
Management- $732

Total- $5,899 - I'd be taking out the Cable and Management expenses, obviously.  If they want cable, they can pay for it themselves, and I'll have Optimum split it correctly.  So takes total expenses to $4308.

So net income would be 10,332 (14640-4308).  The price of the rental is listed at 137900.  So that would make the mortgage payment a max of 802 per month (9624/year) on a 30yr mortgage at 4%, with no down.

So while there shouldn't be too many repairs, since it was taken good care of, that only is a max profit of $708 a year.  Right? or have I done some math wrong? Obviously I can always try to lowball, and get it for cheaper, which would increase profit, but that just doesn't seem like enough of a profit for the heartache.

Please weigh in with your expertise, and let me know what other info you need. 

Thank you, in advance!

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: First rental property decision advice
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:55:32 PM »
Add in maintenance and vacancy and you'll have negative profit.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »
Yep, crap rental. Unless you can massively raise rent and/or get tenants to pay utilities... no way would I buy that. Any kind of minor appliance problem or maintenance costs will eat your entire profit immediately.

-W

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »
I don't even crunch the numbers of a rental unless they meet the 1% rule right off the bat, which is monthly rent should equal (or preferably exceed) 1% of the overall purchase price.  Yours doesn't, so that's where I would have stopped.

Stache In Training

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »
Thanks guys, I thought this was not good.  and the 1% rule is a very good rule of thumb.  Thank you!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:40 AM »
You're asking the right questions SIT.

You'll need to look into a lot of properties to find a good one, but keep digging; it's well worth it.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.