Author Topic: Finding contractors?  (Read 1863 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Finding contractors?
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:33:44 AM »
Where do you find your contractors?  So far I've been  hiring skilled family members along with myself when rehabbing properties.

However If I'm ever going to scale I HAVE to start finding and using contractors, at least for time intensive task.   But its a scary world out there contractor wise...   

But again I have to push through it, I currently have more investment capital and prospects then I have available labor to repair. . . . very frustrating.

Please let me know any ideas or suggestions for finding decent contractors for different trades. 

FZJ80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Finding contractors?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 05:35:59 AM »
Have you tried looking for local REIA groups?

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 06:45:29 AM »
I assume your referring to a real estate investment group type of thing?

My local chapter seems to be selling eyeballs to advertisers more than being an actual investor meetup. 

But yes I do see that there would be some value in talking with other investors.   Unfortunately I dont know any in my immediate area at this time.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »
Bump!

I was saddened by the lack of response.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 03:23:29 PM »
Good real estate agents usually have a list.  They need people to get work done to get sale transactions closed.  They often own rentals themselves.

Lepetitange3

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 03:34:23 PM »
Second the real estate agent recommendation.

We have a close friend who is a realtor.  I get all contractors from her.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »
Is this for your primary residence? If your area has nextdoor.com, that's a great resource for finding referrals on all kinds of services, not to mention people giving away building supplies, compost, etc. If you're needing contractors for out of area rentals nextdoor.com won't work. (has to be in your own area)

What about Angie's List?

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
I've had great luck with Angie's List. Not infallible, but when you see almost all positive reviews over a multi-year period, that's a good sign.

I've used Angie's List both for my primary residence here in Florida and my second home/rental property in VA. It's been great both places.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »
My best contractors have come from me approaching workers I saw doing a good job (1x painting, 1x roofing) on neighboring rental properties to my own.  Bonus points if they drove older trucks without much or any advertising on the side.  Then after those contractors do a few things for me, I ask them for recommendations for something outside their wheelhouse. 

Great contractors are too busy to advertise- in my area, the majority of the online reviews have been solicited in some way.  Many real estate investors are cagey about giving out contractor info, especially to someone they don't know well.  I think it was one of the real estate podcasts where I heard someone joking that the name of their handyman could be pried out of their cold dead hands. 

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 06:00:23 AM »
Good suggestions.   Never considered angies list.  I always assumed people just paid for top reviews lol.

Ill keep an eye out for people working and also talk with real estate agents I know that have rentals.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!