Author Topic: Finding a bedroom to RENT  (Read 1249 times)

jimsteets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Finding a bedroom to RENT
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:59:46 PM »
Hi All,

I am currently living in an owner occupied duplex in Massachusetts.  My unit would rent for about 1,300 / mo if I just get my butt out!  Having a hard time to finding housing until I can buy another place... any tips on searching for a someones pad to crash at?

Have tried Craigslist and Airbnb... no luck wait... on a waiting list at one place...

Best,

Jim

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Finding a bedroom to RENT
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 04:01:38 PM »
Put the word out to all your friends that you're looking for a room to rent. Tell them to ask their friends. Offer a finder's fee to whoever finds you the best room.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 03:04:50 AM »
 I am in a similar position. For the first time ever I’m looking to rent just a room in somebody’s house. However I am looking at a specific neighborhood, or type of neighborhood. I want to live in a neighborhood with natural settings, and near natural areas, since I like to walk around and explore. Plus it would be a total change of scenery for me which is what I am striving for. Ideally I would be able to find a room to rent in the neighborhood I actually want to buy in, in 1 to 2 years. However I’m running into the issue where it’s impossible to pinpoint where perspective roommates live, and what the surrounding areas look like. Most of the roommate search sites only talk about the inside of the property itself, but not about the area, or give the address or anything like that. Which is understandable.

So now I’m swishing this idea around in my head to mail letters to selected houses in this neighborhood. Even if someone was not previously considering renting out space, you never know until you ask. And if they were not considering it, perhaps they would be willing, or unknowingly willing to accept a lower price. Everyone I have told this idea to  thinks it’s creepy LOL. Or that only the serial killers will respond. But I am hopeful and of course I’ll do my due diligence in researching the occupants before reaching out.

I think I would be intrigued if I received a heart-felt letter from a financially secure, responsible-sounding person, stating why they want to live in my lovely neighborhood. Even if I didn’t offer up my house, I might be compelled to help them by sharing the letter.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:06:36 AM by Lmoot »

jimsteets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 04:02:27 AM »
Old school Mail marketing I love it!

Just curious what is sparking your desire to bunk up in someones house?

Keep my posted on your progress.- Jim

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:23:08 AM »
^ I rented my house out in a different city to move in with my grandmother while she recovered from surgery. She’s since recovered but I plan to continue renting out my house so I can live closer to her/family, for the time being. I like the idea of living near family, but not with. And while living by myself was an ok experience (experiment?),I have lived with family, boyfriend, roommates/friends, for most of my life and living alone is not appealing to me for the long term.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!