Author Topic: Extended Family Problems - Get your stuff off my yard!  (Read 1724 times)

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
Extended Family Problems - Get your stuff off my yard!
« on: July 21, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »
So, I have a sticky situation that I'd like some advice on.  I own my MIL's house.  We've owned it for 18 years and my MIL lives there rent free.  We pay the taxes and insurance on it and do basic maintenance on the house. 

Unfortunately, my wife's family is using the home as a kennel and storage unit.  We live 700 miles away and cannot be there all the time to make sure my sisters-in-law and their children aren't junking up the property and keeping animals in the home.

We've had a strained relationship with the entire side of the family for a decade and haven't been in regular contact for a long time.  My MIL recently had surgery and my son went last week to render some assistance to her.  The sisters ran him off but he took lots of pictures and we now realize the house conditions are unacceptable.

Any advice on getting them to get their crap out without resorting to threats and creating a difficult emotional situation for my MIL.  She is very passive and sensitive and the rest of them are a brood of vipers. 

Thanks!

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Extended Family Problems - Get your stuff off my yard!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »
Sell house, use proceeds to rent MIL an apartment.

I mean, you don't live there or anywhere nearby. Your MIL is apparently unable/willing to lay down the law. You have no realistic options here to take away their access to the property so long as she lives there.

-W

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »
Or hire someone to do the strong-arming for you? Frame it to the family as someone to help your MIL keep up the property since she's had her surgery. Frame the job to the person performing it that they will subtly be in charge of getting the freeloaders out and keeping them out. It will be more work and more expensive than @waltworks 's idea but if your MIL is determined to age in place, it could be an option.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
Thanks.  I agree Walt, that would fix the problem.  I am considering doing that.  MIL has lived in the house since 1970 and, although it's a piece of crap, she's going to be reluctant to leave it, I think.

I also didn't mention that there are tons of steps in the house (split level) and she just had knee replacement so I might be able to convince her on that basis.

I do appreciate your feedback!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 08:53:38 PM »
Thanks.  I agree Walt, that would fix the problem.  I am considering doing that.  MIL has lived in the house since 1970 and, although it's a piece of crap, she's going to be reluctant to leave it, I think.

I also didn't mention that there are tons of steps in the house (split level) and she just had knee replacement so I might be able to convince her on that basis.

I do appreciate your feedback!

Her reluctance to leave a property that she has lived in for free for 18 years and yet refuses to properly care for would not carry very much weight in my decision making. 

If she doesn't like the apartment you offer her for free to replace the house you've given her for free for decades, she is welcome to find something else, or buy the current home from you.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »

I mean, you don't live there or anywhere nearby. Your MIL is apparently unable/willing to lay down the law. You have no realistic options here to take away their access to the property so long as she lives there.

-W

Good advice here, however it will be real interesting getting them kicked out and getting MIL moved so you can have the place cleaned up suitably to sell.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »

-W

Good advice here, however it will be real interesting getting them kicked out and getting MIL moved so you can have the place cleaned up suitably to sell.

Sheriff - police will move them out and lock the place up.  The new owners can sell whatever is left there to help pay for cleanup.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
Get your mil a 1 bedroom apartment. That way others can’t live there comfortably. And it will be easier and cheaper to maintain.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!