Author Topic: Eviction nuts and bolts - PA  (Read 1814 times)

Distshore

• Stubble
Eviction nuts and bolts - PA
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:29:58 AM »
So, our first rental property, purchased in October, came with a tenant delinquent on rent who I'm now evicting via the court system (for non-payment).  I've never done this before, so would like advice from someone who has been through it.

I already went through the process of providing a 10-day notice, then filing in court and receiving a judgement for costs & possession, then waiting another 10 days of no payment (and no moving out as requested!) until I could request the constable to come and evict.  So now, the constable is due to come in a week to evict the tenant.  Just in time for Christmas :(

My questions:  do I need to be there in person to let the constable in?  (The property is out of state for me and I'm very very pregnant so don't want to drive there).  If I get a locksmith out to change the locks, would they be able to let the constable in if the tenant locks the door against them?

Thanks in advance for your advice.  Off to post on the tenant eviction horror stories thread ;)

Cococola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Eviction nuts and bolts - PA
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »
I see you are from PA, if your property is in Philadelphia, you can join a landlord association, they even offer an attorney at a much discount rate, they have a forum - you may get more help there. Good luck!

Distshore

• Stubble
Re: Eviction nuts and bolts - PA
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 02:35:22 PM »
Thanks very much - it is not but I should look up a local LL organisation in the town anyway.