Author Topic: Ever heard of a TransPack house?  (Read 1867 times)

MVal

• Pencil Stache
Ever heard of a TransPack house?
« on: July 08, 2015, 02:25:47 PM »
Okay, so I just learned a new term today, "granny flat." Apparently it is along the lines of a tiny-house. Well, I ran across this company in Australia called i-Build that sells these pre-fab, shipping container-like houses for $10K! They ship it to you from China and it only takes a few hours to build it!

http://i-build.com.au/transpack-granny-flats/

Ever heard of something like this? I would love to live in something like this if I only had someone's backyard to squat on.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
Re: Ever heard of a TransPack house?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »
"Granny flats" is a term used frequently in Seattle.  It's a newer term to refer to 'in-law units' - usually separate cottages.  The tiny-house community is thriving in space-starved Seattle, and so this is a term that's become popular.  I heard it mentioned on local NPR just yesterday afternoon. 

For me, these cargo-container-like flat roofed units are very unappealing - there's no style or charm to them, and flat roofs don't generally work that well in the PNW where in a typical year we get persistent rain from Oct-thru-March.  If these appeal to you, have you priced them versus construction-office-like portable buildings, or mobile homes?

MVal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Ever heard of a TransPack house?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:08:26 PM »
Hmm, no, I haven't priced any other options yet. I agree they lack style, but at this point in my game, I'm just looking for cheap and private and could care less about the looks. One thing that appealed to me with this option is they are supposed to be tornado resistant, which is one thing mobile homes are not; as I live in Tornado Alley, that is a great feature.