Author Topic: Entry level Real Estate Jobs for College Student?  (Read 2268 times)

Gatzbie

• Stubble
Entry level Real Estate Jobs for College Student?
« on: September 11, 2016, 12:16:28 PM »
I'm 21 and in college (graduating Dec. 2017 with accounting degree).  Only problem I have is I don't want to be an accountant, I'm just doing it to get a college degree because its being paid for via scholarships. So instead of applying for accounting internships, I'd like to try something new! 

If I want to own/invest in rental properties someday, is there some sort of job I could get that would give me real world experience or expose me to this? Should I try to work for a property management company?

Another idea I've read is to buy a duplex and rent the other side out (which wouldn't be an internship though but I think still a good experience).  I have a good amount of money saved up from summer jobs but no current job right now, just full time student.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Entry level Real Estate Jobs for College Student?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »
    Join your local real estate investors club, work doing property maintenance, live in mgr at apartment complex, work with a local rehabber part time, try to intern a a mortgage lender, intern with a broker, get your RE license and just start selling. If in Ohio, PM me

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »
If you have some choices in elective courses between now and then, take some general business courses, like business law. That will broaden your horizons and make your resume less narrowly focused.

Mattzlaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 03:25:41 AM »
If you're looking for experience overseeing property, a management company would be a good place to start there is a home owners board here that helps with rentals you may have the same board, get in touch with them to contact some companies. I lived in an apartment in my town for a year and it seemed like the management guy would change every few months and was very green at even minor fixes so this is a good place to go.

If you're looking for renovation experience and hands on work you may offer a known flipper in your area some free labor in exchange for hands on experience.

I'm not well versed with the college accounting degree but why the go through schooling for something you're not interested in?

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 05:58:37 AM »
Why not go ahead and get an accounting internship, make money and use that to buy real estate?  Your accounting career is going to be a lot easier to get started than the real estate one, real estate needs seed money to grow, and as a new college grad, you don't have any seeds. 

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »
From what I've seen, you could walk up to a contractor and get a job as long as you weren't drooling excessively. Hanging doors, roofing, putting in new floors, you'd be getting paid to learn how to fix up houses.

jessaragen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:13:30 AM »
It looks like fixing up houses is not exactly what he wants. Check some options in media related to real estate

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »
Why not get a real estate license? Here in Florida, at least, you can take a two-week course and then an exam. Bingo. You're a licensed real estate associate. (You can take additional training later and become a broker.)

I got my license in 2001 after finding the process of buying our first home terribly frustrating. I felt like I was uninformed and getting screwed at every turn -- by the *&*&(* representing me. I never intended to sell real estate - and haven't -- but I dutifully renew it every two years for $100 or so. More importantly, it was terrific education. Real world education? Heck no, but it's made me as a real estate investor realize what idiots 95 percent of the Realtors are -- and 97 percent of mortgage brokers and 99 percent of title/closing people.