Author Topic: Electronic Signing of Leasing Agreements  (Read 4164 times)

z4cth3p4c

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Electronic Signing of Leasing Agreements
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:12:24 PM »
Anyone have a cost effective program they use to renew leasing agreements with electronic signatures through email. I get tired of making appointments with everyone every year to resign leasing agreements. But I would like a free way to do this. I electronically signed a life insurance agreement recently and thought it would be convenient if I could do the same with tenants.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Electronic Signing of Leasing Agreements
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
Just email them and ask them to sign, print, and, if your jurisdiction permits, scan and return. I have done this for ages.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
Any app that does PDF signatures is probably the easiest way, but most free PDF programs (Foxit PDF being my favorite) will also let you use a "pencil" tool to sign things.

I'm curious though - you don't even want to check your unit once per year and do a walkthrough?  That seems... unwise.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

z4cth3p4c

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
Oh when I was 18 I bought my first home bank foreclosed for 17k, it was a 12 bedroom four bathroom unit with three kitchens. I ate stringed beans in a can for a year and a half and put every pay check I had into paying it off and repairs. I live upstairs in a separate unit I built for my self. And rented out the other bedrooms to my best friends, I never did leases because I trusted them but the more I trusted them the more they took advantage of me. Slowly but surely they have all left because I kicked them out for not paying or for their own reasons. This year is the first year I have rented to outsiders and it is going well but they want a lease for various reasons. So i provided them with a 3 month leasing agreement. They all wanted one month agreements but I do not have a lot of time to do paperwork with three jobs. Now that I have it paid off I am working on expanding and thinking about picking up another rental unit. I want to get a system in place before I expand. I do not need to check it because I live there and see it everyday. But now that I am thinking about it if I do not live there perhaps I would want to check it more often and lease renewal is a good excuse.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
Check out docusign... I used it from the other end (so I don't know how much it costs) but it was very easy

z4cth3p4c

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »
I will check these out thanks for the recommendations.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »
We have moved to using Docusign [Edit] Authentisign for all renewals for our leases. My wife has an account through her job as a RE agent, so not sure what/if an individual acct costs for the user.

[Edit] We have them sign the original lease when they first rent the property, and do updates with authentisign.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:17:30 PM by Hamster »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
We have moved to using Docusign for all renewals for our leases. My wife has an account through her job as a RE agent, so not sure what/if an individual acct costs for the user.

I'm fine with having them electronically sign, but not for the reason of "I don't want to go to the property once per year."

One should be physically viewing their property at least that often, if not more.  Bring your iPad and have them sign the screen if you want, but to new landlords: please physically walk your properties.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 07:15:47 PM »
Oops. I meant Authentisign, not Docusign.

Totally agree with you rebel. We do it for convenience of keeping scanned records and not having to deal with the mail. But still important to physically see the properties to know what is going on.

z4cth3p4c

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:45:12 PM »
https://www.echosign.adobe.com/en/home.html

Adobe Echosign lets you do 5 free contracts a month. Which is about all I needed.
It will let you do 10 free contracts a month if you let it post to your twitter.

It will also let you create reminders when the lease is up, create a website widget form, make custom forms etc really cool actually.

Docusign lets you do 5 free contracts in total then you have to sign up, lowest plan is 15 dollars a month for 50 contracts a month.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:35:56 PM by z4cth3p4c »