Author Topic: downsizing?!?  (Read 864 times)


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 93
  • Location: Georgia
« on: May 24, 2018, 02:51:19 PM »

My current house is worth about $250,000. We owe $88,000.  I'm looking at this house listed at $165,000 and I'm really tempted!

Our house we live in is looking pretty nice these days.  We just put a new deck on the back, new floors last year, but I still dream of downsizing.  My oldest will be a senior in high school, and I would never dream of her changing schools.  This is still in our school district, but less than 2 miles to a community college (she doesn't drive).   She also has autism, so letting her live in a trailer out back wouldn't be so crazy and would give her some independence.  We currently live in a neighborhood with an HOA, so not so much room to park trailers and such. 

I also need to consider that my mother will need care in the next several years, ands she already struggles with the stairs at my house.  I know we're going to need a ranch style eventually.  It also has 3 acres so I could have a rooster if I wanted to. 

Talk me down off the ledge!  What do you think?  Go for it, or wait another year to downsize like we'd planned. 


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1152
Re: downsizing?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
If it were a year from now, is this the house and location you'd want to downsize to? If so, what's the argument for waiting?


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 2156
Re: downsizing?!?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »
The zillow ad says "Pending." Does that mean it is in contract with another buyer, or does that mean that you are the buyer? Will you still be able to get it if you want it? If this house ticks all the boxes, I don't see why you need to wait a year. (i.e. it's in the right school district.) Do you have to sell your current house in order to buy this one? Your offer will be seen as stronger if you don't have to sell your house first.