Author Topic: Down Payment on a Rental VS Investing in Taxable Accounts - Hypothetical  (Read 2447 times)

9ft5wt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
So, let's say that I've got $50,000 that I can either invest in a taxable account or use as a down payment on my first rental home. This is Baltimore City, btw, and an overly simplified situation.

If I'm placing the down payment, I have a nice safety margin in 'oh-shit' money and mortgage for both the rental and my current home, which is nearby.

In a taxable account, $50,000 @ 7% for 15 years comes out to roughly $138,000.

For the rental, the $50,000 is transformed (over 15 years of the rent covering and completing the mortgage) into a $1000/month net for me, (after maintenance costs, taxes, etc) which is equivalent to 4% of $300,000 in a taxable account.

It seems that the rental unit will generate significantly more cash for me to use in my retirement than investing the $50,000 in a taxable account.

I feel like I'm missing something. Am I even remotely close to reality in this approximation?

Thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Down Payment on a Rental VS Investing in Taxable Accounts - Hypothetical
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:28:18 AM »
You'll need to provide much more information on the rental numbers.

But yes, it's certainly possible a rental can yield more.

(Especially on paper when your comparison handicaps one (by comparing it to a 4% WR) and not the other.)

Your rental will rent for ~2k/mo.? (Assuming you'll net 1k/mo. after the mortgage is paid off, and the 50% rule)?

If so, that's a great deal, it hits the 4% rule.  If not, I'm skeptical your numbers are accurate.

Run the actual numbers.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

9ft5wt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:14:08 AM »
Thanks Arebelspy. Can you point me to other threads or resources where I can learn more about real-estate math?

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »
Thanks Arebelspy. Can you point me to other threads or resources where I can learn more about real-estate math?

He might have more places to look, but biggerpockets is a good place to learn some basics:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2010/06/30/introduction-to-real-estate-analysis-investing/

50% rule: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/06/14/50-percent-rule/

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »
Buying a rental=running a business.  Mutual funds=investment.  So don't forget you're running a business with a rental property.  Even if you do hire a manager to run things, you still have decisions to make, manage your PM, make upgrades and repairs etc.  Mutual funds pay dividends and there is nothing to do-no missed rent payment, no toilets that get clogged, no evictions etc.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
If your rent isn't 1% of the purchase price or higher, you will almost certainly not beat index fund/stock returns once all the overhead/maintenance, transaction costs, and cost of your time/effort is accounted for.

As A-spy said, post the complete numbers. There's a sticky at the top of the forum on how to do it.

-W