Author Topic: Doorbell transformer install on Breaker Panel  (Read 12861 times)

Latwell

• Stubble
Doorbell transformer install on Breaker Panel
« on: August 08, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with a dilemma I've run into. I'm installing a brand new wired doorbell.

I've put my doorbell and chime in place and have my wires running into the basement. The breaker box is very close to the doorbell location.

I've been trying to find my answer online, but am having a bit of trouble. Has anyone hooked up the doorbell transformer to the breaker panel instead of in a junction box? Or maybe someone has a transformer already in/on their paneling could guide me on where the single green wire and two black wires attach to?

Thanks for your help!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Doorbell transformer install on Breaker Panel
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »
I am not entirely sure what green and black wires we are talking about... or if you're talking about attaching them on the transformer side or on the breaker side.

I found this pretty simple diagram:
http://diyhousehelp.com/how-to/plumbing-electrical-hvac/doorbell-wiring-diagrams/

In that diagram the transformer has 3 wires (which is normal):  black, white and (probably) green.

When you are running to the breaker panel, you will probably run regular old romex between them.  (I'm assuming this is on its own circuit here.)  Black on the transformer ties to black wire in romex, white on transformer to white romex, green on transformer to bare romex wire.

On the breaker end: Black goes to the new circuit breaker.  White goes to the neutral bus bar.  Bare goes to the ground bus bar.  (Sometimes neutral and ground will have separate bars.  Sometimes not.)

As usual disclaimer: I'm not an electrician.  If someone replies with "I'm an electrician, don't listen to that idiot" -- listen to him/her, not me.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 04:16:56 PM »
I am not entirely sure what green and black wires we are talking about... or if you're talking about attaching them on the transformer side or on the breaker side.

I found this pretty simple diagram:
http://diyhousehelp.com/how-to/plumbing-electrical-hvac/doorbell-wiring-diagrams/

In that diagram the transformer has 3 wires (which is normal):  black, white and (probably) green.

When you are running to the breaker panel, you will probably run regular old romex between them.  (I'm assuming this is on its own circuit here.)  Black on the transformer ties to black wire in romex, white on transformer to white romex, green on transformer to bare romex wire.

On the breaker end: Black goes to the new circuit breaker.  White goes to the neutral bus bar.  Bare goes to the ground bus bar.  (Sometimes neutral and ground will have separate bars.  Sometimes not.)

As usual disclaimer: I'm not an electrician.  If someone replies with "I'm an electrician, don't listen to that idiot" -- listen to him/her, not me.

Sorry, I should have clarified. The green wire is the ground wire.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 04:36:05 PM »

Sorry, I should have clarified. The green wire is the ground wire.

It was the 2 black wires that had me scratching my head.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:51:46 PM »
Oh, the instructions say the two black wires don't have to go a specific way.

So I'm guessing the green wire would connect to the grounding section in the box and one black wire would connect to the nuetral part. Now the last black wire would go to one of the switches, but is there a specific switch it should be attached to and can I even attach it to a switch that already has a wire going to it?