Author Topic: Dealing with my landlord...  (Read 3009 times)

Holyoak

• Bristles
Dealing with my landlord...
« on: November 16, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »
I have been a renter in many places, in homes and apartments for many years, in the military, and overseas...  I kinda know the gig, have been in several rental homes for 3+ years,and have A+ references.  My newest rental home is the first time I am having "issues", and I ask you folks for advice.

Prior to moving in, I was told point blank to my face that the left half of the 2 car garage with the home would be cleared before moving in, the other half would continue to have their crap in it.  A few days prior to moving, I asked for an update, and was told it is being "worked on", but no indication was made that it would not be done before arrival.  I was also told the refrigerator would be replaced because it had been shut up for years, and had had spoiled meat in it...  It literally smelled like old rotted roadkill when opened.  I pay my deposit, first and last months rent (totals over $2k) with a signed 6 mo lease.  Yep, you got it.  Crap was still on my side of the garage, and the fridge had not been replaced when I arrived with the moving truck October 28th.  The wife of the cranky old man co-landlord told me he had deodorized the fridge, but it would be replaced as she promised.  I'm sure her husband told her BS on promising the new fridge, and the situation is stressing her (tough shit, you gave your word).  Well, a week or so I asked the husband verbatim, "so, when is the fella coming to get his shit from the garage?".  Did not get much of an answer, but when I returned later that day, a ladder and old door were out, but piles of lumber and long siding boxes were still piled high against my side of the garage wall.  Later he tells me the boards and siding box along my side stays.  I bit my tongue, and glad I did.  Fucking liar.

To be honest, I'm getting pissed, and would like some advice on how to handle this.  There are other issues, such as penciling other conditions on a photocopy of the signed lease. (you kidding me!, and good luck making that shit stick)  My rental home is directly next door to their home (maybe 8' apart), and seeing them everyday is just making me more resentful, and I don't want to loose my cool...  Sorry, you give your word, you follow through, and these folks seem like its all about what can protect them by a lease of what I have to do and put up with, yet they lie, or think it's somehow OK to add conditions on a copy of a lease I never signed!

I am one of those tenants who fixes switches/faucets, other minor stuff for free, lives spotlessly and leaves the place cleaner than I found it, and treats the home BETTER than homes I have owned.  This is the very first time I have had a problem, I should have listened to my gut and not taken the place, I am becoming resentful, but want to play it smart by asking for advice here.  Thanks for the help.

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
Re: Dealing with my landlord...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »
"There are other issues, such as penciling other conditions on a photocopy of the signed lease."

This sounds illegal to me, anyone have any input on this?

I would strongly recommend checking out the tenant/landlord rules in your state/county/city to determine if you can get out of there early and with your deposit and last month's rent intact. God forbid there is a major repair needed on the place if they aren't following through on the small stuff.

Sorry about the stress, man.

richschmidt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:22:25 AM »
You could always pencil your own conditions in on the lease: landlord to replace refrigerator and remove all items from left side of garage before move-in. :)

Seriously, I don't know what the best remedy is. I'd encourage you to put something in writing to them explaining clearly what you'd been promised and when, and detailing their failures to do so.

If you want to push, you could tell them you consider these serious breaches of your contract, that you'd like to see them make good on their promises within 7 days, or you'll be forced to begin looking for other living arrangements. Depending on what you feel they'd respond to best, you could either play up the legal flavor or the personal responsibility, living with integrity, "counted on you to be a man of your word" flavor.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »
They may be walking to fine line of legality. Honestly I think your best bet is to try and find someplace else and get them to let you out of the lease early. I'd suggest getting both the husband and the wife together at the same time. Just lay it out that they obviously are not happy to have them there and maybe shouldn't be renting to anyone. You are not happy that promises made are not being upheld nor even being attempted to be upheld. It is in both sides best interest to end this as soon as possible.

Worst case they say no and you can pursue legal outs of your lease. Absolute worst you have to pay the 6 months regardless of when you move. Middle of the road it wakes them up, they fix things and you get out at the end of 6 months. Because based on your description I wouldn't want to stay any longer than I had to.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 03:07:03 PM »
"Accidentally" leave the garage door open as much as possible while checking to see if it's cleaned out yet.  It's none of your stuff in there and most people will freak out at the thought of people being able to steal their shit.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 04:15:24 PM »
As far as the fridge, are they just lazy?  Did you offer to pay for a new fridge and deduct it from your next month's rent?  You may need to get this in writing before shelling out for a new fridge. (does the lease specify that the landlord is responsible for the major appliances?)

What does your lease say about the garage?  Not what the landlord told you, but what it says.  If it says you have access to 1/2 the garage, then let him know he's in violation of the lease.  Tell him you'll hire someone to come clean out the garage and deduct it from next month's rent.

The only leverage you have is your rent payment.  Use it.  You need to consult your local landlord/tenant laws though.  This stuff varies greatly by area.

Also, no more verbal promises for next time, right?  Get it in writing.