Author Topic: Crystal Pacific vs Milgard windows? Warranty important?  (Read 4401 times)

shanaling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Crystal Pacific vs Milgard windows? Warranty important?
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:52:59 PM »
How important is it to get a good warranty for windows? The price difference between Milgard and Crystal Pacific is significant with a significant difference in warranty as well.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Crystal Pacific vs Milgard windows? Warranty important?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 03:53:34 PM »
Is the warranty transferrable?

Will the company be around in a decade?

Will you save all the paperwork? Most people don't.

What type of window? Vinyl, wood, etc? Vinyl is white and will fall apart but what are the warranting? Glass seal, air leaks, paint failure, etc?

Do they still sell parts for 10-20 year old windows? How about 50-100 year old windows?

Those are the questions I would think about. 

archben82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »
A good warranty is important, but definitely read the fine print to see just what's covered.  I imagine some of the cheaper windows will cover minor stuff, but not let's say, the seals.  One pet peeve I have with cheap windows is the seal goes bad and you end up with condensation between the panes.  All the other considerations MayDay mentions are valid.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
That should say vinyl is shite.

I hate vinyl windows. Most of the vinyl window market has a "lifetime warranty" but you'll be replacing them. The warranty on a more expensive wood window will be legit, at least for some companies.  Or falling full replacement you'll be able to get replacement parts literally forever.

We bought a single replacement vinyl window and the company went out of business ~5 years later. Even the bigger more reputable vinyl companies are going to be mininmally repsonsive for vinyl warranties because they are designed to be a cheap replaceable item.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »
Read the warrantee carefully and you will find text regarding "proper installation " but no definition of what proper installation is.  Thus your warrantee is worth nothing.

This trend started with roofing products, but has transferred across other building materials.