Author Topic: Credit Check for 3rd adult (Grandma) on lease?  (Read 1676 times)

riotnerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Credit Check for 3rd adult (Grandma) on lease?
« on: December 28, 2013, 04:13:50 PM »
My wife and I are renting out our home and have one interested family of 5: 2 young children, the parents, and one grandparent.  If they proceed I will definitely be requiring credit checks for both parents...but not sure if I should be requiring one for the Grandmother that would be living with them as well?  I would be charging them $30 per person, so thought I would check with the MMM landlord community before sending them applications.

Thanks in advance!

money_bunny

• Stubble
Re: Credit Check for 3rd adult (Grandma) on lease?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
I had an older patient who was a grandmother who was locked up for vehicular homicide of I think three people, might have been more. Never would have though it until you opened up the records.

I also had an assisted living patient pulled out the rest home they were living in so that 'Mom" could live with the daughter who wanted the SSI and Pension checks to make ends meet.

I'm new here but I think the big take a way I got from some of the articles here and on BiggerPockets was consistency of your screening process for all tenants.

Hopefully others will confirm the last statement.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Credit Check for 3rd adult (Grandma) on lease?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
We require credit and criminal background checks of everyone 18 or older that will be living in the property.  If another adult is discovered living there, if we choose to keep the unauthorized tenant, they have to undergo the same checks before being added to the lease.