Author Topic: Crazy Mirror House  (Read 3242 times)

KittyFooFoo

• Stubble
Crazy Mirror House
« on: August 25, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
Hello everyone.

Fiancee and I have been searching for a house for several months with difficulty.  We have been looking for a ~200k starter home, which do exist in our area, but we've either always run into houses that a) are in developments with exorbitant (~300/mo) association fees, b) push us a little out of our price range and into uncomfortable territory, or c) are old fixer uppers requiring pricey upgrades.'

Out of frustration, we started looking at rentals, and we ran into a house that also happened to be on sale.  It is on sale for $170,000 with a $75 homeowners' fee.  The house has a whole bunch of nice stuff in it--nice hardwood floors, granite counter tops and nice cabinets in the kitchen, three large bedrooms upstairs, huge master bathroom with nice shower, jacuzzi, heat lamps, a nice yard/back patio, etc. etc.  Also the location is nice, with a 3 mile commute for her and 12 mile highway commute for me. 

The catch is that the walls of the house are almost 100% mirrors.

We do not necessarily mind this, but it is undeniably weird, and there is a high probability that 1980s Italian gangsters had coke-fueled orgies here.  But the price is great, the location is great, it is extremely well kept, and the house will require zero maintenace coming in.

Pictures of the family room and master bedroom:  http://imgur.com/a/k4O4K

We could, of course, eventually take out the nutty mirrors.

Is this house mustachian?  Will I slowly go mad, unable to escape my own reflection?  Would you live in this well-outfitted funhouse for a nice price?

This is an unusual situation.  Please advise.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
Re: Crazy Mirror House
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
You can always put contact paper over the mirrors... and remove them eventually if you buy it.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »
If everything's great except for the mirrors, I wouldn't let them put you off.
Although I would be tempted to hang sheer curtains in front of them, wallpaper them, or remove most of them.
You won't forget a building inspection, will you :) If you suspect funky chemical residues is there a test for that?

suntailedshadow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:57:47 AM »
You're right, that is a trip. However I would say the house is VERY Mustachian! Being willing to take the house that "Feels" a little odd (But is very much fixable) for a fantastic price sounds like a no-brainer to me :-)  (Barring unforeseen issues with the house) It seems like you have a great opportunity to succeed where others have clearly shied away.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »
Hey try living with them for a while-I mean you might want to keep them for your own coked out orgies!   :P

But seriously, that wouldn't scare me off!  I'm sure you can figure out a safe way to remove them or save up to hire someone to remove them.  And then drywall replacement/repair (depending on what's under them), which I bet you can DIY yourself, or have a friend who has done it before help you DIY.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »
Wow! Those pics gave me a headache! Hehe we nearly rented a house with floor-to-ceiling mirrors all over the living area but it wasn't as bad as this. Personally I'd go mad but you can always cover them. Maybe you can even negotiate for a lower price by saying that the mirrors are really creepy...

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »
The dancer in me is thinking you should just rent out the main floor as a dance studio! That would be extremely Mustachian.