Author Topic: Could use some help: gas furnace vs heat pumps vs ?  (Read 3919 times)

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
Could use some help: gas furnace vs heat pumps vs ?
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »
Hi guys,
I could use some insight here. We had just purchased a rental property. Currently it has a gas furnace that will need to be replaced due to age. Currently it does not have air condition. It is ~1000sq, 3 bedroom 1 bath. We expect to be able to rent it out conservatively $600-650 per month.

Our options are as follow (so far these are best prices we can find):
1. Install a new 80,000 BTU gas furnace, comes with a 10-year manufacturer warranty and a 1-year installation warranty: $3K. We will need to add 4 windows AC, ~$1K, so total is ~$4K
2. Install a new 14 SEER, 2-ton straight AC with 2-ton coil and a new 80,000 BTU gas furnace; all equipment comes with a 10-year manufacturer warranty and a 1-year labor warranty. Total ~$7K
3. Install a new 14 SEER, 2-ton heat pump and interior air handler with a 10 kw heat package, comes with a 10-year manufacturer warranty and a 1-year labor warranty, upgrade wiring ~$7.5K
4. Any other option you could recommend?

Which option should I choose? This will be a long term investment for us. Option 1 obviously the cheapest, but I am not sure of long term reliability of windows AC. We currently re-modelling the house - new windows, doors, etc.

Thanks and appreciate any feedbacks!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Could use some help: gas furnace vs heat pumps vs ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:28:49 PM »
Are gas packs not offered in your area?  A combined unit - gas heat with forced air a/c. That's what most people have around here.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:50:30 PM »
Honestly I do not know anything about HVAC, furnace etc. I am having a crash course in them now. Reading about gas packs now.

Appreciate the comment!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:01:04 PM »
For a rental, I like the heat pump, but they are not very efficient in freezing conditions -- how cold is winter where you are?

Ensign1999

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 06:58:10 AM »
I would get quotes for a few different contractors.  After the first few, you will get an idea of what is common in your area and what a good price is.  A few different things will drive what is the normal heating and cooling option for your area.  The largest two factors being what is available and cost.  If gas lines are not installed to houses and you have to depend on gas tanks to use a gas furnace, this option can become very expensive.

Combination units can be good depending on your area.  I have a rental in an area with no gas and the "normal" heating fuel is oil burners.  I have a combo unit that runs a heat pump for cooling and heating when the temperatures are not too cold and it is more efficient to use.  When the temperatures get colder and it is no longer cost effective to heat with the heat pump, it will automatically kick over to the oil burner.

Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions.  Much will depend on where you are.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 07:03:23 AM »
Are heat pumps common in your area? If not, I would steer clear of them. They are not common in my area, but we decided to take my uncle's advice (he has been in the HVAC industry for decades, but lives in another part of the country) and get a heat pump. People/companies around here don't know how to install or service them properly, so we didn't do ourselves any favors.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 01:00:18 PM »
For a rental, I like the heat pump, but they are not very efficient in freezing conditions -- how cold is winter where you are?

This property is in central Kentucky, so it does get very cold from time to time but generally winter is pretty short. Our house has heat pump, and its been pretty trouble free for 14 years. Having said that they are the most expensive options.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:37:09 PM by sequoia »

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »
I would get quotes for a few different contractors.  After the first few, you will get an idea of what is common in your area and what a good price is.  A few different things will drive what is the normal heating and cooling option for your area.  The largest two factors being what is available and cost.  If gas lines are not installed to houses and you have to depend on gas tanks to use a gas furnace, this option can become very expensive.

Combination units can be good depending on your area.  I have a rental in an area with no gas and the "normal" heating fuel is oil burners.  I have a combo unit that runs a heat pump for cooling and heating when the temperatures are not too cold and it is more efficient to use.  When the temperatures get colder and it is no longer cost effective to heat with the heat pump, it will automatically kick over to the oil burner.

Do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions.  Much will depend on where you are.

The location is in Kentucky. I am with you with price and availability. Currently it already has gas line installed for stove, hot water heater and furnace, but the gas furnace is old so we need to replace it. Stove and hot water heater also may need to be replaced - looked old and the house been empty for years.

Agree on getting quote from different contractors. The price above that I posted is one of the cheapest one.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 01:37:26 PM »

The location is in central Kentucky. I am with you with price and availability. Currently it already has gas line installed for stove, hot water heater and furnace, but the gas furnace is old so we need to replace it. Stove and hot water heater also may need to be replaced - looked old and the house been empty for years.

Agree on getting quote from different contractors. The price above that I posted is one of the cheapest one.

Ensign1999

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 09:31:46 AM »

This property is in central Kentucky, so it does get very cold from time to time but generally winter is pretty short. Our house has heat pump, and its been pretty trouble free for 14 years. Having said that they are the most expensive options.

If the house already has gas lines run to it, then I would look at the cost of operation between a heat pump and a gas furnace.  In our area (Northern Virginia) we are one of the few houses that has a gas furnace and our heating bills are quite a bit less expensive than our neighbors.  We still have AC for the house so our electric bill goes up in the summer, but in the winter the gas bill is much smaller than what people are paying to use electricity to heat their houses.

Both systems (IMO) are good, and it really comes down to what makes the most sense based on cost to install, cost to operate, and what makes the most sense for the property.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »
I'd just keep it simple and economical for a rental.   No need to buy the high end super efficient stuff, as you aren't paying the utility bills.   
If you have forced air gas heat and need to swap out the old furnace, you may as well put an AC coil in the plenum and add a new outside AC condenser.  This will be more costly that several electric window AC units, but long term a much better system.  House will also be more secure and less chance of weather infiltration as you can close and lock those windows where the AC units were.

Lucas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »
In general i really liked my heat pump unit (Northern VA), but i would vote for the gas furnace for a rental property.  Rental properties are about comfort and convenience (not so much about "efficiency").  A gas furnace heats much quicker and makes the house more comfortable.  So I think it will help you keep renters and/or get a new renter sooner if you need one. 

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 12:57:52 AM »
I thought I give an update here. At the end, we decided to have new gas furnace and will install some windows AC. We ask for several quotes, and the winning quote from Lowe's are one of the lowest price and it also come with 18 months no interest financing. We are now considering having them fix some of the stuff in the house also. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 08:10:42 AM »
I thought I give an update here. At the end, we decided to have new gas furnace and will install some windows AC. We ask for several quotes, and the winning quote from Lowe's are one of the lowest price and it also come with 18 months no interest financing. We are now considering having them fix some of the stuff in the house also.

Make sure to check what local rebates you might get from energy companies.

My city has a lot of different rebates for appliances and heater/AC is one of them. This might be significant.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »
Thank you. We will check out if there is any rebates for appliances (we need to buy a fridge and possibly stove) and heater/AC.