Author Topic: Correct way to inform landlord of finishing the lease  (Read 1055 times)

Tester

• Bristles
Correct way to inform landlord of finishing the lease
« on: May 29, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »
Hi,

Please let me know if sending a text message to the landlord is enough to be official.
I am asking because for the last two years I had probelms in getting through to the landlord, it took a lot of effort from my part to even get her to set up e payment....

Here is the text message I sent today:

Hi, how are you, I hope you are staying safe and still enjoying the these times. I am writing this to let you know that we will be moving out of the apartment on June 30 as we are closing on a house on June 25th. Please use the last month rent payment we provided when we signed the lease. Also, please let me know how can we schedule an end of lease inspection to avoid surprises. Here is our new address for sending the check with our deposit xxxxxxxxxxxx. Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you, me.

Greenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Correct way to inform landlord of finishing the lease
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »
This depends both on the laws of your state (and locality), as well as the actual terms of the lease you signed.  It would be wise to check the lease first and then the laws that apply.  For example, sometimes the request to be present for the final walkthrough needs to be sent via mail, a specified number of days prior to the end of the tenancy.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »
My lease specifies what is considered written notice. Text is not included, but email is. Your state may also have specific definitions.

Are you breaking the lease? Moving out at the end of a lease? Terminating a month to month lease?

Does your lease allow for using the deposit as the last month's rent? That is not by any means universal, given that the purpose of the deposit is often to cover potential damages. I hear about this all the time, but I have only been able to do it once.

If you have verified the above, would send the same information as an email if you don't hear back shortly.

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 12:55:49 PM »
I will send the same text in mail with a tracking number today,  just hoped I would get an answer to the text message to make it easy :-).
I am on month to month and I have to give 30 days notice if I remember correctly, will double check.

Regarding the deposit, I am not trying to use that for the last month rent, I paid the last month rent when I started the lease.

The address is for the deposit.

I was hoping she would reply to avoid having to send mail.
E-mail is not getting through to her ever.....

Will wait until this evening and read the rest of the lease agreement again to make sure what is considered official.

If it matters I am in Seattle.

And I read the agreement, it requires written notice 20 days before.

I will see what written means.

Aaand I think I will have to pay the last month to stay correct as it seems she will  not reply and it takes some time until the certified.maol gets there.....
The only thing is I will pay just to get a check with the last month in 30 days.....
Well, will solve this too..., Just one more sign it is a good thing to move out...

EDIT: she replied, all should be fine.....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:01:27 PM by Tester »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »

Regarding the deposit, I am not trying to use that for the last month rent, I paid the last month rent when I started the lease.

Curious about this. Is it normal over there for this to occur? What if you are a long term tenant over 10 years and the rent has increased from $1000 a month to $2000 a month? Why would someone pay their last month of rent 10 years in advance?

McStache

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 05:48:30 PM »

Curious about this. Is it normal over there for this to occur? What if you are a long term tenant over 10 years and the rent has increased from $1000 a month to $2000 a month? Why would someone pay their last month of rent 10 years in advance?

In my experience if the monthly rent goes up with a lease renewal, the landlord will request a true-up on the last month's rent so that it remains correct.

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »

If over there means the US (vs Seattle), it depends on the location. It was normal when I lived in Madison (WI) and Boston to pay last month upfront with the 1st month and security deposit. Boston also had brokerage fees (1/2 to 1 month rent). But here in Chicago it’s 1st month, one month security deposit and landlord pays the brokerage fee, if any. We only stayed one place for more than a year while in Boston. I think we did pay the extra $25 the last month.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 05:22:56 PM »

If over there means the US (vs Seattle), it depends on the location. It was normal when I lived in Madison (WI) and Boston to pay last month upfront with the 1st month and security deposit. Boston also had brokerage fees (1/2 to 1 month rent). But here in Chicago it’s 1st month, one month security deposit and landlord pays the brokerage fee, if any. We only stayed one place for more than a year while in Boston. I think we did pay the extra $25 the last month.

Thankyou. I find this really interesting. Over here something like that would never get up ... although it's more common for tenants to pay fortnightly, it is considered too much of a burden to expect one month upfront, plus the last month plus the bond (standard four weeks).

However, in an effort to secure a place, tenants have been known to pay 6 months upfront.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 07:00:54 PM »
I'd suggest that you send a "mail" with return receipt, to document the notice.
Txt may be okay, but why take chances??

I found this with useful Q&A:
https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/resource/your-rights-as-a-tenant-in-washington#d

From my experience from the rental days, I have found that many landlords play various types of games regarding the return of security deposits (e.g. claim fictitious "damages" that happen to exactly equal to the security deposit - happened to me twice). Many people do it because tenants seldom fight back against it and such sleazy ways pay well!

If you do everything by the book and in "official" ways, then you will have a better chance of dragging the LL down to the small claims if/when things go sideways. It may even show the LL that you are serious and hence they may decide to not mess around with your security deposit.

And oh, if you are moving long distance, there is no reason to let the LL know - since long distance movers are less likely to fight back for the security deposit. Leave some local friend's address as to where the LL should send the security deposit.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 12:36:44 PM »
Hi,

Please let me know if sending a text message to the landlord is enough to be official.
I am asking because for the last two years I had probelms in getting through to the landlord, it took a lot of effort from my part to even get her to set up e payment....

Here is the text message I sent today:

Hi, how are you, I hope you are staying safe and still enjoying the these times. I am writing this to let you know that we will be moving out of the apartment on June 30 as we are closing on a house on June 25th. Please use the last month rent payment we provided when we signed the lease. Also, please let me know how can we schedule an end of lease inspection to avoid surprises. Here is our new address for sending the check with our deposit xxxxxxxxxxxx. Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you, me.
LL here (not yours, obvs). I was going to offer some suggestions, but I see you've already sent it. Why did you ask us after the fact?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!