Author Topic: Convincing Landlord to let me sublet via AirBnB/VRBO  (Read 4331 times)

JakeM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Convincing Landlord to let me sublet via AirBnB/VRBO
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:09:01 PM »
Hi All,

First time poster. I am in my early 20s and a winter sport athlete with Olympic aspirations. I am about to move out of my apartment and back into one of the US Olympic Training Centers (OTC) where housing/food is free. Free housing is great but its never permanent, there are times when I'll need to find my own place. What I would like to do is sign a new lease and sublet the apartment as a vacation rental (this is a tourist town) when I have free housing. The biggest benefit is that I know I have housing year round even if I cannot stay at the OTC. Beyond that, there is a great opportunity to make some extra cash here since I can leave the apartment open but will be just down the road to maintain it and manage guests. I plan to get renters insurance and vacation rental insurance. Ideally I would like to buy my own place in town under the same scenario, but I am not financially ready for that yet, so this could get me closer. My question is for the landlords here, how can I get a landlord to let me sublet? My current landlord would actually allow it, but I had already opted out of my lease before we discussed it and somebody else took my place (I may come back to the same complex if something else opens up).

So assuming nothing else opens up here, how can I convince a landlord that I do not already have a rapport with? How would you want to be approached about it? I have asked a few already and the answer has been a resounding "no". It is legal in this area, though there have been discussions of a short term rental tax being imposed in the future. Any thoughts you all have would be appreciated!

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Convincing Landlord to let me sublet via AirBnB/VRBO
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »
One idea is to offer the landlord a percentage of the sublet revenue.  I have heard of that being done. 

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
Look on AirBnB and see if there are any long term rentals that interest you, explain your circumstances to the host and chances are they will be more likely to go for it.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
Look on AirBnB and see if there are any long term rentals that interest you, explain your circumstances to the host and chances are they will be more likely to go for it.

Yes. Patriotic Landlord Helps Olympic Athlete.

JakeM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »
Going through Airbnb actually isn't something I considered, but not a bad idea since they are all already comfortable with the site, thanks!

What is a reasonable offer to make for a percentage?

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 08:28:51 PM »
If you just book a long term rental through AirBnB people, you wouldn't need to pay a percentage as they are already getting what they want from you.  I would tell them that about your plan out of courtesy though.  It is a great community. 

Otherwise, with a regular landlord...20%?

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:29:26 AM »
Yes, 20% is the percentage I saw in an article about someone who subletted with his landlord's permission.  It's a negotiation between you and the landlord.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 05:57:36 AM »
I hate to be a wet blanket, but as a landlord, there's no way in hell I'd let you sublet my place for an AirBNB.

I WOULD, however, let you out of your lease early if you needed.*

*for a small fee, of course.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 06:09:29 AM »
If your landlord has a business model that he is comfortable with, perhaps you need to spend less time on figuring out how YOU get what YOU want out of the relationship. Landlord doesn't owe you anything. Doesn't even owe you the time to discuss YOUR money-making scheme where he takes on additional risk.
It sounds like this isn't going to be a long term situation anyway, so why not just follow some of the already-established conventions and look for a situation that fits your need instead of trying to get others to conform to your wishes.
Sorry if this comes across harsh, I just see so many times where people think I owe them a chance to tell me how much better my business would be if only....[something that benefits them]. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 06:37:31 AM »

"Unpatriotic landlord hates the Olympics"

;)

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 07:22:17 AM »

"Unpatriotic landlord hates the Olympics"

;)

:D

Its tough being me sometimes.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 07:42:03 AM »
I'm not sure if it would be cost effective, but maybe get an Air BnB for yourself when you need housing, and stop when you don't need housing. Then you don't have to be a renter, and jump through landlords hoops.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 02:06:20 PM »
You're basically offering to be an AirBnB manager for them - take care of listing it, managing the calendar, dealing with bookings & turnovers, etc. So figure out what that deal would look like, and offer it to them. If there are short-term rental property managers in your area, see what they charge and offer something like that (although probably give better terms, since they're professionals and you're a part-timer). Otherwise come up with something fair. You might be able to negotiate somewhat better terms by offering them a floor on their earnings, because if bookings are bad enough you'll just move back in at the standard monthly rate.

But as a landlord, I would never do that deal. If I wanted to run an AirBnB I would do it myself or find a professional to do it for me. I would not do some bizarre half-breed deal with a manager that has (I'm guessing) zero experience and large time commitments to other things (training), and leaves me with most of the risks for damage to the property, pissing off the neighbors, fumbling tax/regulatory requirements, etc.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:23:25 PM by Beaker »

jwright

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 02:31:52 PM »
We have a stipulation in the lease that does not allow subrentals. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!