Author Topic: contemplating investment properties  (Read 1627 times)

eliandjax1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
contemplating investment properties
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
Hi all,

I was considering investing in property. One of my main concerns is turning tenants. I know the best way to avoid issues is to propery screen tenants however what steps does everyone take once removing a bad tenant or just having to rerent a units and costs involved. Is it just painting and cleaning carpets or is it more involved?

Thanks

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: contemplating investment properties
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »
I was considering investing in property. One of my main concerns is turning tenants. I know the best way to avoid issues is to propery screen tenants however what steps does everyone take once removing a bad tenant or just having to rerent a units and costs involved. Is it just painting and cleaning carpets or is it more involved?

Depends on what the unit needs and how the previous tenants left it.  Sometimes nothing at all, sometimes a minor rehab.

If it's a decent property with decent tenants, it usually doesn't take that much.

Turnover sucks, so find a way to keep your good tenants.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
Re: contemplating investment properties
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 07:51:45 AM »
Depending on how bad the tenant is, you can just ride out the lease or if they are not paying rent or breaking the lease, then you can evict.  I'd say find a good eviction lawyer instead of diy.