Author Topic: Contacting the owner directly... etiquette?  (Read 2171 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Contacting the owner directly... etiquette?
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »
Hey all,

So I found a listing that I'm interested in, in my area, and was able to obtain the owner's name. With a little sleuthing I found a phone number associated with that name - is it generally a no-no to call them directly in this case? There is a number on the listing but I'm assuming it's the agent. Should I always just contact the number on the listing regardless of whether or not it's the agent? I've read that working directly with the owner is preferable (to cut out the middle man) but at the same time I don't want to freak them out either.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Contacting the owner directly... etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
Call the number on the listing.  It's 99% that this is their agent.  They're paid to field the call and are going to be involved in the sale no matter what.  It's in their contract. 

Also, unless you actually know the seller, all sorts of things may have happened.  They may be dead and the house is for sale by their heirs.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 03:45:50 PM »
Call the number on the listing.  It's 99% that this is their agent.  They're paid to field the call and are going to be involved in the sale no matter what.  It's in their contract. 

Also, unless you actually know the seller, all sorts of things may have happened.  They may be dead and the house is for sale by their heirs.

Ah I see. I ended up calling the number but it was the local number for Redfin, who said that if I get through a Redfin agent I'd get a $1500 rebate or something. Otherwise, the actual realtor's info is on the site so I could reach out directly. I got a little more detail out of it in that they want all cash and it is listed under market currently. I reached out about this to a seasoned investor in my area who I met at an REI meeting and he ran some comps and a quick report on the property, and confirmed it looks to be a pretty good property for flipping. In any case, I think this seller is hoping for a bidding war where the highest cash bidder wins.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:55:34 PM by jplee3 »

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:26:05 AM »
I would just contact the listing agent.

If the property is listed by an agent, then it appears a listing agreement has already been signed and the middlman cannot be cut out. 

Gotta find those properties before they get listed!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »

If the property is listed by an agent, then it appears a listing agreement has already been signed and the middlman cannot be cut out. 

Seriously, that's the trick isn't it? Now I'm seeing why networking is such a huge tool. As is driving for dollars. But some of these you can't avoid - you know there are people out there wanting to sell their home, and those people want to sell it badly without an agent but aren't patient enough to wait and cave in.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »

Seriously, that's the trick isn't it? Now I'm seeing why networking is such a huge tool. As is driving for dollars. But some of these you can't avoid - you know there are people out there wanting to sell their home, and those people want to sell it badly without an agent but aren't patient enough to wait and cave in.

It's not too hard. Give it a try. Driving for dollars, direct mail campaigns, and craigslist ads all work.
I've found things much simpler when realtors aren't involved.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 04:47:58 PM »
Im closing on a property this Friday that I found "driving for dollars".

Its a short sale (oxy moron?) that  ive been working since November... 

I highly recommend "FindTheSeller.com"    Its 10$ a search, but well worth it when you can get your hands on a property before anyone else has a chance.  (Before someone suggest anything, this property was abandoned and all other avenues of contacting the owner failed, I run a skip trace as a last resort) 

*So Far*  I've had a 100% success rate with getting accurate Phone #s from the skip trace. (only used it 3 times)

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 06:29:18 PM »
If it is listed on the MLS in Southern California and did not go pending in the first hour, it is NOT a candidate for a flip.  And no, you can't deal with the seller directly.  You saw the listing because the seller signed a listing contract with the listing agent and that agent posted it to the MLS and then to other sites.

There are a few sellers that will sell low to avoid listing with an agent, but they are very rare.  Most FSBO's think their property is worth more than the agents suggested as a list price.  Since they are smarter than the agents, they try to sell it themselves.

If you spend a lot of money to buy lists and send out postcards, you are wasting your time and money.  Those lists are bought by a lot of people with the same idea.  I get 20 pieces of mail a week soliciting me as an out of state seller.  Straight to the recycle bin they go,