Author Topic: Condo Fee Higher Than Listed - Worth Pursuing?  (Read 819 times)

ctaardvark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Condo Fee Higher Than Listed - Worth Pursuing?
« on: September 01, 2020, 10:59:43 AM »
After closing on a condo I discovered the condo fee was $14 higher than it was listed (both in MLS and the paperwork I signed). I checked with the condo association and it was last changed in January 2019, so it isn't as if it was raised for a new owner.  My agent contacted the seller's agent who basically responded by saying, "Mistakes happen.  Sorry."  Somehow I don't think she would be so benign if it was costing her $168/year.

Is this worth pursuing?  My agent gave me the sense it was the seller agent's responsibility but I haven't looked into the details to judge for myself.  I thought hearing from MMM folks would help me decide if it's worth it.  One of the great advantages of living frugally is being able to sweep something like this under the rug and maximize enjoyment from life, but that's probably my excuse to be lazy.

Thanks for any feedback!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: Condo Fee Higher Than Listed - Worth Pursuing?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:04:47 AM »
I am normally a fight for the cause type, but in this case my first question is if you reviewed the HOA paperwork, including financials, prior to closing (many would say prior to making an offer, even).

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
No.

-W

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 11:24:56 AM »
What's your remedy?  I suppose you might try to get the seller's agent in difficulty with their licensing for putting up a wrong listing.  But I don't think I'd try to destroy someone's career over something I should have picked up myself before closing.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 02:06:34 PM »
If your pissed about a $18 condo fee, just wait for until you get the inevitable "special assessment"

But seriously, no I bet you could make that money back 10x putting that effort into something else. Remember, pursue happiness, its why we are all here!

ctaardvark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 06:59:08 AM »
Thank you to everyone who replied.  I bow to the wisdom of the board and will simply let the issue go.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 07:09:53 AM »
I'm going to scold you for not reading the HOA paperwork, especially the Reserve info. You could be in for a much bigger surprise than $14/mo.

mstr d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 01:26:33 AM »
Focus on getting rich, not on being right.