Author Topic: Coin operated loundry for tenants - Opinion? where to get them?  (Read 2106 times)

danlaska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm considering purchasing coin operated washer and dryer. This is primarily to protect my utility bill (water/gas) in case my future tenant will use laundry to wash friends' clothes that do not reside in the apartment. This is not to make extra income. And I don't believe it is legal in my state to put how many loads a tenant can do per month...

Where can I purchase a decent coin operated washer/dryer?

Do mustachians use coin operated washers/dryers?

tmac

• Bristles
Re: Coin operated loundry for tenants - Opinion? where to get them?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 03:44:15 PM »
I saw some on Craigslist recently.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »
I talked to a management agency recently and they advised me not to put a washing machine or dryer in a rental house.  He said the problems would be huge with tenants clogging up the machine, etc., and he had various horror stories.  He said, "Tenants won't expect one."  I was surprised, but he was very persuasive.

If you do get a machine, one way to avoid their friends doing laundry there would be to make the tenant responsible for the utility bills.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »
As a renter...I'd be pretty mad if I moved into an apartment and it had an in-unit coin-operated machine. Seems kind of rude to distrust a tenant you haven't even met yet (though I guess I don't know the area you're renting in). Is using friends' washers a common thing around there? Because I've never heard of anyone who does this on a regular basis (maybe a couple times if they were staying a while or their washer broke or something).

I'd also think it weird if there was a laundry area/hookups but no machines. But less weird than a coin-operated one.  Really, is it hard(er) to make them pay their own water?

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
We have a coin-operated shared machine in one of our properties. The company covers repairs, servicing, et cetera, we cover power and water and we each get 50% of the income at the end of each year.

Give Maytag a call if you're interested. They make it very little trouble for you. Obviously the tradeoff is that you don't get to keep all of the money.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:55:12 PM »
I'm a partner in a multi-unit rental and we have a coin operated machine in the shared common space for the residents to use. It makes about $1K income/year so not too bad. It came with the property so I don't know where to purchase one. Good luck though.