Author Topic: Charleston - Cost of Living?  (Read 1599 times)

KurtBikes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Charleston - Cost of Living?
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:34:53 PM »
Does anyone here live in downtown (or close to downtown) Charleston? What do you think of the cost of living? I am single, early 30s, considering a job with an income of $75K in Charleston (currently in Brooklyn, NY). I plan to bike commute but assume a car is necessary. Cost of living (I see rentals for studios/1 bedrooms for $750-$1,000), quality of life (cycling, farmers markets, food co-ops, good local beer, music, coffee, etc)…thoughts? I lived in NC for six years before my current 7-year NYC stay and am open to a possible change.

Thanks!

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Charleston - Cost of Living?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
Charleston is awesome.  Was there for 1 year followed by a second time for 3 years.  Cost of living is one of the best you will find on the East Coast.  Weather is very nice and I only remember 5 - 10 frosts per year.  We lived on James Island which is a very diverse mixture of cheap houses and mansions.  For cycling I took my children to the James Island City Park where they have many bike paths.

Of all the places I have been there also seems to be a very high ratio of women to men as every guy I have ever worked with loves to travel to Charleston.

I can't tell you a lot about the single-life as I was married both times and working too much to do little else.

escolegrove

• Stubble
    • Reluctant Landlord
Re: Charleston - Cost of Living?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »
We own 2 houses in Summerville, SC. the houses were located in a great area and we paid 90-97k in 2012. Downtown can be pricy although I do not know much about it. My husband spent 4 years at the Citadel. He and I both love it there! We would love the opportunity to retire there.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!