Author Topic: Cat urin smell in carpet worse after carpet cleaning?  (Read 2151 times)

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
Cat urin smell in carpet worse after carpet cleaning?
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:17:42 PM »
Seems to be pretty common from reading online, and those who have been through it say it should go away after the carpet dries all the way, including the pad underneath. I hope that's the case, but I'm visiting the house again today and might need to do something about it other than wait. I sprayed a bit of pet odor neutralizer on the carpet yesterday (it's only in one bedroom) but might need to spray more. Either that or wait. Push comes to shove, it's only a few hundred dollars to put laminate flooring in.

In any case, I'm driving there in an house, any tips? Wait a week until it dries? Spray something else?

dorothyc

• Stubble
Re: Cat urin smell in carpet worse after carpet cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »
Try Nok-Out Odor Eliminator. It is what we used on our previous house after we owned a young tom for a while.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »
Reviews look good, but can I buy it retail? Unless I cough up a lot of money for shipping it won't be here for a week.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:03:45 PM »
I don't think so. We ordered online when we were getting ready to sell the house, but I seem to remember it arrived promptly to Los Angeles, and I never cough up for express shipping.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »
In my experience there is really no product out there that will really get the smell out, especially if it's gotten into the carpet pad.  Depending on how big an area and your tolerance...if you really want it gone you may be looking at removing the carpet and the pad.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:09:24 PM »
See my reply in your other thread re:nature's miracle and not steam cleaning.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 06:02:16 PM »
In my experience there is really no product out there that will really get the smell out, especially if it's gotten into the carpet pad.  Depending on how big an area and your tolerance...if you really want it gone you may be looking at removing the carpet and the pad.

And then hope the cat didn't spray the baseboards, down low on the walls and the door frames.

I owned an apartment painting business for seven years. I painted quite a few apartments that still stunk after the carpet was removed.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »
Looks like the carpet drying did the trick. It smells nice in there now actually...hours after tenant texted me demanding carpet be replaced even with no stains, and no smell when I go there hours later. Looks like what I told her was accurate, once it dries, it's fine, but no way it just finished drying all of a sudden. I think she is a scammer.