Author Topic: Case Study: Prep to sell or prep to rent?  (Read 1182 times)

Wings5

• Stubble
Case Study: Prep to sell or prep to rent?
« on: June 14, 2015, 03:49:27 PM »
Homes on my street have been listing and selling for anywhere from $55 to $100 per square foot, so nailing down a potential selling price is difficult. I would estimate we could get anywhere from $105,000-$130,000, estimating conservatively.

Market Value: $105,000-130,000 (Tax appraisal is $118,500, but homes in our area are selling for +/- $10,000 of tax value)
Original Purchase price: $113,000
Original Mortgage Amount: $107,350
Interest Rate: 3.75
Mortgage Term: 30 years
Term remaining: 15 years, 6 months (technically 27.5 years; we have always paid $200 extra towards principal each month)
Amount remaining on mortgage: 97,851
Gross Rents: $1400
Principal and Interest (the P&I of your PITI - should match with the above info): $497.15
Taxes and Insurance (the T&I of your PITI): $446.28
2-year maintenance repair outlook: $7500 (kitchen, bathroom, fence, and structural landscaping)

I would like to move in the next 2 years and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of keeping the current house as a rental vs. selling it altogether. If we sell, I would hold off on about $6000 of the maintenance items so the new owners could do the kitchen and bathrooms as they see fit. If I hold to rent, I would go ahead with all maintenance items. I see this $6,000 trade off as money given to a realtor vs. seed money to start property investing. Right now I'm trying to decide whether I should lean towards on or the other, as that will influence whether we make repairs/changes in the coming months.

Thanks for any input!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Case Study: Prep to sell or prep to rent?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 05:56:09 PM »
Numbers sound decent, I'd lean towards keeping if it's in a decent area, unless you hate the idea of being a landlord and can't find a good PM.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!