Author Topic: Capital gains, I am so confused  (Read 2052 times)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Capital gains, I am so confused
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »
We bought a foreclosure to live in, we had to finish it because the previous owners had pretty much stripped it, at the end of our 2 years of owning it we would like to put it up for sale and we expect to make a decent amount of money on it.

What exactly are capital gains? Is it only what we have gained? as in what we put into the home, anything on top of that? is what is called capital gains?

Our goal in buying this home was to sell it and then with the money we would profit from it, plus all that we put into it our selves in sweat equity buy a new house with cash.

My question is, we have put about $330k into the home, purchase price, and cash combined

We hope to sell it for $550 so minus closing costs and realtor fees we want to walk away with a little over $500, we still owe $212 So what does that mean with our capital gains and do we have to spend all of the gains on a new house within 90 days?

Thanks so much if you need more info just let me know

jpdcpajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Capital gains, I am so confused
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »
Assuming you are in the US.  If you lived in it as your principle residence for two years out of the last five then you can exclude up to 500k for a married couple filing jointly (250k otherwise).  There is no need to buy a new house within any timeframe.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »
We are in the US and we live here, thank you so much, this gives me hope :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »
Capital repairs raise your cost basis, so you don't have to pay taxes on that part, as it's not gains. Document everything, and consult with a CPA.

jpd's advice is spot on as well, but if you're going to be above that limit, you'll definitely want to show the raised cost basis, especially because any depreciation in the meantime will lower your cost basis.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!