Author Topic: Canadian Landlords - How do you get a Credit Scores?  (Read 1305 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Canadian Landlords - How do you get a Credit Scores?
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:22:32 PM »
As we approach renting out the barnhouse, I am looking into the mechanics of getting credit scores for applicants/renters.

I assume you have to get their SIN number, signed permission to run the credit check, and then call in to Equifax for th escore. But it feels like I'm missing something. Am I missing something?

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
Re: Canadian Landlords - How do you get a Credit Scores?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:11:13 AM »
I am an american landlord, and I have had people coming in from Canada and I get their credit scores through my normal tenant check company, MCCGRP.com.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »
I use TVS - Tenant Verification Services.
You need to prove that you own the home, with a property tax notice, your driver's license, and have a signed form giving permission of the prospective tenant to do the credit check. It was about $25.

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »
I use TVS - Tenant Verification Services.
You need to prove that you own the home, with a property tax notice, your driver's license, and have a signed form giving permission of the prospective tenant to do the credit check. It was about $25.

Pretty sure this was the one I used too. Frankly, I got the most mileage just telling potentials I was going to run their credit. It seemed to scare off 90% of the applicants, which saved me a lot of effort.