Author Topic: Can we have a FAQ in here?  (Read 3249 times)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Can we have a FAQ in here?
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
I think I've just this week figured out what the 1% rule is, and I've been reading in this topic for almost a year. It and the 50% rule (which I haven't figured out) are some of the things that "everyone" knows, and so they're mentioned a lot but never explained. If someone were willing to write out a FAQ post to be stickied, I know I could do my part by coming up with basic questions to be answered in such a document.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Can we have a FAQ in here?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
I think I've just this week figured out what the 1% rule is, and I've been reading in this topic for almost a year. It and the 50% rule (which I haven't figured out) are some of the things that "everyone" knows, and so they're mentioned a lot but never explained. If someone were willing to write out a FAQ post to be stickied, I know I could do my part by coming up with basic questions to be answered in such a document.

Feel free to post your questions, I'm sure people will be happy to help answer them, and if it's worthy of a stickied FAQ, we can do so, sure.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:39:48 PM »
Okay, just the first two that come to mind that would help me and, I think, other newbies:

What's the 1% rule?

What's the 50% rule? (Is rule the right term here -- can't remember for sure).

Oh, and I personally know better than this one, but "if I can rent it for more than the mortgage payment, that's a good rental, right?"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:22:57 AM »
Okay, that's a start, but not enough for an FAQ. What else?

(Anyone feel free to chime in here, with questions you have, or with stuff you think are common questions for beginners.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

calcsam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
IMHO the easiest thing to do would just be to build up a Post/Thread of "useful threads by category": Chronicles Of First Investments, Evaluating A Potential Rental, Property Management, Investment Strategies, etc, etc

We have so much content here -- building an index is going to be a lot quicker than an FAQ...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »
IMHO the easiest thing to do would just be to build up a Post/Thread of "useful threads by category": Chronicles Of First Investments, Evaluating A Potential Rental, Property Management, Investment Strategies, etc, etc

We have so much content here -- building an index is going to be a lot quicker than an FAQ...

Agreed  I imagine the FAQ would be mostly links to existing posts, or excerpts from them.  We still need the list of topics/questions, however, to then search them out and build that list.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:17:57 AM »
Here are some:

How to assess a house for purchase/renting?
How to calculate if you'll make money on renting the house.
How to pick good tenants?
Advice on renting to a family vs individuals.

Edited to add more:
Is it advisable to set up a company structure (LLC, etc) when buying/renting properties?
What is calculation to determine if I can move from my current home and into another home while keeping home #1 as a rental?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:22:15 AM by oldtoyota »

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
Or one could just reference the Bigger Pockets Beginner Investment Guide which I'm sure has answered most of these questions - http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing