Author Topic: buying a home with 1 bathroom  (Read 4405 times)

DBV1985

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
buying a home with 1 bathroom
« on: November 23, 2016, 08:22:36 AM »
Hello,
I am eyeing a property that is a 3 bed/1 bath for a vacation rental. I feel like people won't care if they are staying only a few days at the home. The price is right because it is only 1 bath. What are your thoughts on 1 bathroom homes?

J

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: buying a home with 1 bathroom
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:39:28 AM »
My current house has one bathroom (household of two).  I've lived with up to four adults (including me) with a one bathroom situation without issue.  I've also lived in a big house with seven adults (well, four adults and three "adults") and it would have been madness with any less than the 2.5 bathrooms we had.

It also depends on the people.  Some people are bathroom hogs/slobs/etc.

For a short-term rental it wouldn't affect my decision.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:49:33 AM »
If the numbers work, I wouldn't have an issue buying a 1 bathroom property. 3 beds/1 bath isn't outrageous; I'd focus on the numbers in an investment property, as opposed to thinking that what I would consider usable mattered.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:08:30 AM »
You need to check out the competition for rates and occupancy to see if there are any comparables.

You could also consider what your market is - for instance, a party of 6 adults would find one bathroom a problem, a family of 2 adults and 2 children might not. 

If it's a location where people are out most of the day (beachside? city centre? theme parks?) and the rental is more of a "base" than a "home" it's also likely to be less of an issue.

If there is scope to create a small room with just a loo and washbasin that could help a lot, but I'm guessing from the question this wouldn't be so easy.

adamcollin

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 12:26:43 AM »
 I think you should go for it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 01:15:09 AM »
Last time we had a vacation with my parent in law, plus brother in law and family, plus us two (6 adults and 1 baby), my father deliberately  in law booked a holiday home that had 2 bathrooms.
Yes, we do care, even if it is for a few days.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 04:55:40 AM »
Hello,
I am eyeing a property that is a 3 bed/1 bath for a vacation rental. I feel like people won't care if they are staying only a few days at the home. The price is right because it is only 1 bath. What are your thoughts on 1 bathroom homes?J

What do the surrounding vacation rentals offer?  You are competing with them.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 05:13:30 AM »
Up until I was in my thirties, I was comfortable sharing a bathroom with anyone. After that, no. I don't think I'm alone that age makes a difference due to health, urgency, and old-doggedyness.

So if your target market is young people or even young families (including more wear and tear on the house), then sure.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 10:55:57 AM »
Is there an extra separate toilet? If not, one bathroom is not enough.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »
We were a family of 5 with a one bath house. Never really was a problem.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »
I grew up with my sister, dad, and mom in a house with only 1 toilet and one bathroom.  It's doable, but leads to pretty regular annoyance.  FWIW, moving to that house was a big step up for my mom and dad who had previously been living in a place with no running water - and they didn't think that using a composting toilet in a place where the winters regularly dipped below -40 was too bad . . . so, your comfort level is ultimately all that matters.

It's one of the awesome luxuries that make me feel rich in my current life to be able to read comfortably on the can and not have to worry about someone banging on the door to get in.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »
Our current home has two bathrooms.  1 get used, and the other is where we store the hockey gear and have a very occasional midnight pee.

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 06:41:06 AM »
If the numbers work, do it.  Most of my rentals only have one bath. 

DBV1985

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 09:42:38 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. The home actually needed a lot of repairs including a new roof, plumbing, electric, and hvac so the COC went down quickly after doing new math. I think I will wait on a 2 bath unless a good deal comes along for a 1 bath. There are too many vacation rentals to compete with in my area. :)

J

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!