Author Topic: Building a project space  (Read 1006 times)

brute

• Pencil Stache
Building a project space
« on: March 15, 2018, 08:16:04 AM »
I am looking to build out a 5000 sq ft building for various projects (strongman training, butchering/sausage & charcuterie making, cheese making, beer/wine/mead making).

1st, are there any preferred free building layout programs that people like? I'd like to be able to sketch up the layout of the gym area, the office area, the food prep and brewing areas with tables, fermenters, refrigerated walkins, etc.

2nd, does anyone have experience with the most cost-effective way of putting up a building like this that will still be great quality, stand up to storms and such for 40-50 years?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Re: Building a project space
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
sketchup.com There's a free version.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 12:52:21 PM »
2nd, does anyone have experience with the most cost-effective way of putting up a building like this that will still be great quality, stand up to storms and such for 40-50 years?

international building code.

i doubt you can just build this without permits and design.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:02:47 PM »

international building code.

i doubt you can just build this without permits and design.

IBC? really? how bad to you want to confuse his local permitting authority? (city or county?)

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »
Hard to beat a post frame (pole building) for this sort of thing if they are allowed in your location.
They are cheap to build, low maintenance, can be highly insulated and efficient, and can also look pretty nice.   

Look up Morton Buildings website and you can see photos of many examples of hobby buildings like this.