Author Topic: Astroturf or Faux Grass  (Read 2353 times)

TheDudeMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Astroturf or Faux Grass
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:29:03 PM »
I have a rental property that is looking pretty shabby in the backyard with weeds (most of it), rocks, dead plants, etc. and was thinking of clearing it all out and putting in some fake grass or astroturf.  The area is pretty small (approximately a 150-200 sq ft.).  Any recommendations on products that you've had success with on rental properties?  I'm looking for something that will last and require minimal upkeep.  There's a nice bbq area with some minimal ocean views, so it would be nice to spruce it up a bit.

Thanks in advance.

mousebandit

• Bristles
Re: Astroturf or Faux Grass
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »
I'd consider a concrete patio. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 05:34:16 PM »
What about weed block and crushed stone? It is porous so rainwater can skin it, and reasonably remove able and easy to maintain. I would think AstroTurf has to go over something else, like concrete. Personally a plastic yard would be a major turn off to me.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 05:54:15 PM »
Astro-turf does not go over concrete. WE have some really nice stuff but you have to prep the yard correctly, etc. I would go online and look at the process. We bought ours direct from a manufacturer and it was a lot less then going to Home Depot, etc.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:15:43 PM »
Personally, I do  not like the look of astro-turf.  A duplex next to mine has it on the front yard.  There are weeds springing up all around the edges.  How weird is that? The owners have not come to weed probably because they think there is no problem.  Solution: new soil, hostas.  I love hostas. They look great.  Also could plant some ornamental grasses.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
What about weed block and crushed stone? It is porous so rainwater can skin it, and reasonably remove able and easy to maintain. I would think AstroTurf has to go over something else, like concrete. Personally a plastic yard would be a major turn off to me.

Seconding this. If there's not much space, but there is a good view and a BBQ area, astrotuf is just gonna look... cheap, in the negative association of the term.

If you wanna make the space appealing for prospective tenants, some crushed stone/paving stones and super-basic flower beds and outdoor furniture would work marvels, and would require less upkeep than mowing a lawn. Check out this post from the Manhattan Next design blog (also a resource I HIGHLY recommend for a good eye and DIY construction/decor on a very limited budget) http://manhattan-nest.com/2016/06/22/my-lowes-spring-makeover-alex-and-apryls-backyard/

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »
If the astro-turf is good quality and laid properly following the instructions for what goes under it, etc you won't have any weeds.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 03:37:39 PM »
While I hate the look and feel of astroturf the new fuax grass products are incredibly convincing, long lasting and need no watering/upkeep.  My sister replaced her ~200ft lawn in drought stricken California and it looks and feels great.
That said, a third vote for crushed gravel with weed-blocking fabric underneath.  Cheaper and faster than laying a concrete patio, low maintenance and you can remove and redo it later if you decide to go in a different direction.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
WE are in a high drought area and wanted our dogs to be able to lay and roll in it, etc.  We couldn't justify watering anymore.