Author Topic: application fee BEFORE submitting?  (Read 1848 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
application fee BEFORE submitting?
« on: December 11, 2020, 07:53:10 AM »
First time being a renter for over a decade...

I've got a landlord who wants to charge $50 per adult for as an application fee.  That's $100 for my wife and I  - not terribly out of the ordinary.  I checked and my state's law permits such a practice.

BUT - the landlord won't send me the application until after I pay $100.  that seems odd (scam?).  Application fees are supposed to cover the costs of running background and credit checks - no application, no cost to the landlord, right? 

Should I be worried?  This is all being done online - property was listed both on CL and Zillow.

Also:  Landlord says I can't view the property until after paying the application and undergoing a background check, "due to COVID".

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
Re: application fee BEFORE submitting?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 07:58:13 AM »
Definitely sounds like a scam. I would not do this. In my area it's not normal to charge application fees, but even if it was it would be ridiculous to pay that before even seeing the place.

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 08:10:40 AM »
Even if it's legitimate, I wouldn't want this guy as my landlord.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 09:05:32 AM »

Ditto.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:18:11 AM »
I'm a retired realtor. This sounds sketchy at best. I recommend working with a realtor who specializes in rentals. There are a lot of scams out there, and a realtor will be able to help you avoid them. I also recommend checking public records to make sure your potential landlord is paying their mortgage. You might sign up for a lease and get an eviction notice a couple months later from the landlord's bank (because the landlord is taking rent but not paying bills.)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 09:19:36 AM »

Ditto.

I guess where I'm questioning it is this has been all done over email thus far.
hard to judge things that way.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 09:21:51 AM »
Definitely sounds like a scam. I would not do this. In my area it's not normal to charge application fees, but even if it was it would be ridiculous to pay that before even seeing the place.
you are in QC, right?  We lived there too.  Different laws and expectations - here they can (and almost all do) charge a full-month's rent as a deposit as well as requiring first/last (so a $1,500 rental means writing a $4,500 cheque up front).  I've also noticed that teh majority of landlords seem to charge an application fee of $25-50 up front (also legal).  This is the first time I've encountered someone saying I needed to pay in order to get the application.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 04:12:48 PM »
I mean yeah its a pretty stupid way to do business. But it also feels like a pretty stupid way to scam people?

My guess is he is just a dumb/bad/grumpy landlord

FWIW I show people properties even before even discussing an application. After a showing I then  send them one. They can fill it out or not. I don't care. I don't make much if any off the applications. I make money off renting houses. Applications are a loss leader. Generally stealing security deposits after the lease is over is the standard dick landlord move.

So in conclusion: I would not send him then money first. Money is submitted with the application, and the intent to move forward on renting the property. $50 is probably fair depending on the city.

SndcxxJ

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
Before covid I considered switching to such a method of having applicants apply before viewing the property, but chose against it.  My reasoning for considering such a move was I was experiencing a little more than 100 interested parties per week and it was just more volume than I could handle.  I thought such a move might save myself some time by having only the most interested people actually coming to view the property.  Is it possible that the demand in your area is so high they are just trying to discourage shoppers and not really interested applicants?  I understand that paying before receiving application is a bit different but maybe the reasoning is the same.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 11:05:20 AM »
We encountered this years ago, for ourselves as well as DS, not just during the pandemic. Completely unacceptable. Preys on the new & unwary. It smacks of harvesting fees from rejected applications, not to mention discovering unacceptable properties after the fee.

I insisted on seeing a sample copy of the lease as well as viewing the property. Photos or videos can easily hide its condition. It helps to have a great credit rating, but showing proof of financial resources is an acceptable substitute.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »
No way would I do this.  You can't even view the property?  Nope.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 06:28:56 PM »
Remember the "kick me" signs kids would stick onto other kids' backs?

Paying $100 for the privilege of having an application sent to you is like a landlord shopping for tenants who are dumb (or desperate)  enough to put a "kick me" sign on their own backs! 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 05:35:53 PM »
Okay, there is a 50% chance of scam.   I have paid an application fee before (in the US), but only at the time I viewed the place.  It looks like a reasonable fee is allowed in your state. 

At this point, the application fee should only be taken if it is guaranteed that they would rent to you if your credit is acceptable.  Which is weird for LL to guarnatee without meeting you.    Meanwhile you don't even know yet if you want to rent the place.... do you?

What do you need to have happen to agree to rent the place?  Can you do that early so that the landlord can stop listing it? 

To check for scammer -- you could ask for a specific type of photo, eg., take a photo from the ad (kitchen?) that was already posted and ask landlord to take a new photo while holding up three fingers, with his face in the photo.  Ask for a photo of their drivers license to confirm their name and image against this new photo?  Explain about scammers which is the reason for your precautions.

What else can you do?  Meet landlord, masked, outside, and check their id and hand over the fee? 

You will get crickets if it is a scammer and you ask for any of the above.

I do agree that LL does not want to disturb existing renters, BUT! I just finished finding a rental (early Nov),  and everyone  (I saw about 9 places) was showing the units in person, they just arranged one day with the tenant having usually stepped out for that time, everyone masked, and hand sanitizer / no touching rule.  The agent would wipe down door handles or anything you might have touched.  This is a pretty mask-compliant region, too.

So, I guess I am back to scammer.   I found a lot of scam ads on Craigslist for rentals.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 05:53:53 PM »
I moved out of a rental during covid and the property manager arranged 2 days to show the property. I'm agreeing it sounds like a scam.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 07:54:35 AM »
In our area people tour a place before submitting an application because many don't want to apply after viewing (don't like the layout, etc). An application fee is collected once the application is submitted, not before. Feels like red flags all over the place. I wouldn't give them money ahead of time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 01:13:31 PM »
That guy has nothing you want to be mixed up in. Keep looking.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 01:16:24 PM »
That guy has nothing you want to be mixed up in. Keep looking.

Yup - that's what I've gotten from all of this.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Mildly upset that there are so many obvious scams and sub-part landlords out there.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 05:22:57 PM »
Sorry for resurrecting this. I found a home that we're interested in renting and am running into something similar. The landlord is saying that in order to view the house, she needs for us to submit an application first. Apparently there are a number of people who have already applied. This is through Zillow, and what we're paying for on Zillow is a $29 credit & background check (per person..not sure if my wife is going to need to do this as a co-applicant) that's good for 30 days. It doesn't appear that there's any additional fees beyond this and it seems the application process is handled via Zillow...

I think the landlord may be doing this due to COVID but also perhaps to screen tenants a little more prior to selecting and to make sure the tenants who applied have "skin in the game" ?

Anyway, what do you guys think? Should we go through with it? The landlord isn't asking us to pay them or anything - they're just asking that we apply (presumably through Zillow) beforehand in order to view the home.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 05:30:20 PM by jeromedawg »

PMJL34

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 06:22:29 PM »
If the rental market is hot and you really like the home, it sounds like you have to play the game and pay the $29. Good luck!

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 08:41:08 PM »
Sorry for resurrecting this. I found a home that we're interested in renting and am running into something similar. The landlord is saying that in order to view the house, she needs for us to submit an application first. Apparently there are a number of people who have already applied. This is through Zillow, and what we're paying for on Zillow is a $29 credit & background check (per person..not sure if my wife is going to need to do this as a co-applicant) that's good for 30 days. It doesn't appear that there's any additional fees beyond this and it seems the application process is handled via Zillow...

I think the landlord may be doing this due to COVID but also perhaps to screen tenants a little more prior to selecting and to make sure the tenants who applied have "skin in the game" ?

Anyway, what do you guys think? Should we go through with it? The landlord isn't asking us to pay them or anything - they're just asking that we apply (presumably through Zillow) beforehand in order to view the home.

As a landlord, I've advertised on Zillow and really like their online process.  A good portion of people that inquire already have their online application complete, so I don't even have to ask.  It eases the mind and weeds out a lot of people.  Plus, if the house is currently occupied (not sure in your case), I don't do a showing without knowing some background info, covid or not.  Imagine how many people are inquiring on the same place, and in the landlord's shoes, would you want to spend the time showing a house and then finding out they aren't as qualified and seeing someone else's personal belongings? 

Since its good for 30 days at any place you inquire about on Zillow, its a good deal and helps distinguish yourself from someone who hasn't completed it yet.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 10:10:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up just paying for the background check fee so I could submit the application. Easy enough. Except the background check part they wanted my photo ID, and after uploading it there's now a 5-7 processing period or something... hopefully it doesn't cause issues with the application. I would hate having paid $30 for this thing if the landlord is going to throw it aside in favor of another application because my background check is pending :T

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 04:06:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up just paying for the background check fee so I could submit the application. Easy enough. Except the background check part they wanted my photo ID, and after uploading it there's now a 5-7 processing period or something... hopefully it doesn't cause issues with the application. I would hate having paid $30 for this thing if the landlord is going to throw it aside in favor of another application because my background check is pending :T

Ouch! Sorry. Hopefully it doesn’t actually take that long. I just looked back on my emails from the most recent advertisement and it seems like an application notification came through just a few hours after their initial inquiry. And then there were some whose first contact method was the application. There was one person for whom I know it would have only a few hours since I was in contact while they were working on it.

Edited to add--- I suppose there are reasons it would take longer, and the 5-7 might only be a general disclaimer.  Since mine came through so fast, it sounds like its a fully automated system--- no individual checking your driver's license scan, etc, to cause delays.

added again--- This is from their website---

How long do background and credit checks take?

4 months ago
Most background and credit checks are available immediately. On rare occasions, it can take up to 24 hours to produce a background report, but we will let you know if this is the case.

If your report is delayed, Checkr our background report provider may need more information. Please visit https://applicant.checkr.com/ to provide the requested additional information and check the status of your report. If requirements for a delayed report are unmet after 7 days, the report will display a Suspended status until further action has been taken at https://applicant.checkr.com/.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 04:27:29 AM by uniwelder »

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 08:39:49 AM »
We have a rental shortage here. It seems the new normal for applications is to apply (with application fee) first. First person approved has three days to view the unit (if they want) and then submit a holding fee. Places are rented two to four months out from the actual move in day. Then, the lease must be signed before moving in, if you decide not to then you lose the holding fee. We did get one application fee back because someone else beat us to being accepted, so I don't think it was a scam. It is an annoying and stressful system, though.

If you are looking on Craigslist, beware. Most of the scam listings are easy to spot -- they mention areas of a city that don't exist in you city or the rent is way too low. I won't apply without first being provided an address to drive by if it's not listed on a property management site. I can then check property ownership records with the county online and verify the person talking to me is the actual owner and not a scammer.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 09:37:28 AM »

Ouch! Sorry. Hopefully it doesn’t actually take that long. I just looked back on my emails from the most recent advertisement and it seems like an application notification came through just a few hours after their initial inquiry. And then there were some whose first contact method was the application. There was one person for whom I know it would have only a few hours since I was in contact while they were working on it.

Edited to add--- I suppose there are reasons it would take longer, and the 5-7 might only be a general disclaimer.  Since mine came through so fast, it sounds like its a fully automated system--- no individual checking your driver's license scan, etc, to cause delays.

added again--- This is from their website---

How long do background and credit checks take?

4 months ago
Most background and credit checks are available immediately. On rare occasions, it can take up to 24 hours to produce a background report, but we will let you know if this is the case.

If your report is delayed, Checkr our background report provider may need more information. Please visit https://applicant.checkr.com/ to provide the requested additional information and check the status of your report. If requirements for a delayed report are unmet after 7 days, the report will display a Suspended status until further action has been taken at https://applicant.checkr.com/.

Phew,  you were right - looks like it went through fairly soon after I uploaded my ID. And my background check is clear btw... LOL

In any case, we should be set. Hopefully things work out. We're basically between looking for rentals and looking for places to potentially buy right now. It's madness.