Author Topic: appliance issue  (Read 2036 times)

xijingz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
appliance issue
« on: July 10, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
The new tenants moved in 2 months ago. Two weeks later they complained the microwave was not working, so we replaced a new one. Then by end of first month they said there were problems with clothes washer, refrigerator and garage door. In the meantime, the tenants sent us emails and messages requesting new replacements otherwise would withhold rent to escrow account. But we just got professionals to fix them. At the end of 2 months, they told us the clothes dryer is having noise and being too hot. We are going to hire a vent cleaning company to clean the vent because we think the dryer being too hot should be vent clogging.
My question is can we just leave the dryer as is since it is running and the only problem seems to be just the noise? The tenants told us the dryer sometimes would not dry but I highly doubt it because I think she just want to get a new dryer. FYI, all the appliances were working before they moved in, it is not very likely that so many would break after such a short time.
My question is if we do so, is there any risk for us? As far as I understand, the tenants can only open escrow account from court when landlords ignore the fixing issue for so long. And is a dryer considered as a critical appliance that has to be fixed? Having some noise is something that has to be fixed or not?
Thank you very much for any suggestions.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
Re: appliance issue
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:22:48 PM »
Just replace the dryer. And plan to get new tenants as soon as the lease is up. What they can/cannot withhold will depend on state/local laws, but honestly, you don't want it to come to that.

-Walt

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »
It sounds to me like your tenants have played this game before and know how to use it to delay paying their rent.
Maybe I'm wrong but hope you don't have ongoing problems with these complainers.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:29:17 PM by fishnfool »

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »
You could offer to let them out of their lease early because they've been so unsatisfied, then go and get better tennants.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:43:08 AM »
You could offer to let them out of their lease early because they've been so unsatisfied, then go and get better tennants.

+10
They are problem children.  Get rid of them ASAP. 

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 07:02:49 AM »
Some tenants are a pain.  Do you think the tenants are breaking things, or are the appliances just not working right?

It does appear that some tenants complain a lot.  Often about legitimate things.  When they are marginal, they complain more.  If they are good tenants in terms of income and credit score, do what it takes to keep them.  If not, fix what you will need to fix anyway, and terminate the lease anyway you can.  Tell them this place is just not working out for you or them.

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:55:54 AM »
So you say the following things have been replaced:
Refrigerator
Garage door
Washing machine

These items are easily determined as working or non-working, so clearly they were non-working despite your assertion that everything was tested before they moved in.

Now they say the dryer isn't drying.

Again, this is another item easily tested with a load of wet laundry.

This isn't an issue of your tenants complaining. It sounds like you did an insufficient job of flipping the apartment after the last tenant moved out. I get that no landlord ever wants to put a nickel into a place, but blaming the tenants seems childish.