Author Topic: Anyone replace shingles with metal on rentals?  (Read 2049 times)

Brokefuturedoctor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone replace shingles with metal on rentals?
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:46:49 AM »
Has anyone taken to replacing shingles with metal roofing in the US? I imagine it might be more expensive up front because it is less common in the US, but I thought the longevity of the roof might make up for that.
Additionally, does this or would it detract from getting your house rented? I have read varying accounts of how loud these roofs are in the rain.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Anyone replace shingles with metal on rentals?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 05:25:33 AM »
I have a metal roof, though my house is not a rental. It is not loud. In fact, because they put down an extra layer of insulation,  my roof is actually less loud than they old roof was.

Metal roofs seem to vary regionally - I see more of them up near the lake, but hardly any of them around me. (We've had people come to the house asking where we got our roof, so it's pretty noticable.) I see lots of metal roofs in residential neighborhoods in Florida, though.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »
I have a metal roof on my rental, and have had no problems renting it. The roof is not load at all in the rain, and it saves a bit on cooling in the summer by reflecting light so it saves the tenants a bit of money. The hail resistance saves me a bit on insurance and the durability helps long term.

EDIT: Here in Indiana, the hail resistance of the metal roof cut my insurance premiums by 10%.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:17:01 PM by YttriumNitrate »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »
I see lots of metal roofs in residential neighborhoods in Florida, though.
Anything to get a discount on insurance!

Brokefuturedoctor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I am hoping to have a metal roof on my eventual house and rentals (if I need to replace the roof at all) as long as I can make the numbers work.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 07:57:21 AM »
 Yes, we are going to all metal roofs as they need replaced. No tear off, no dumpster rental, cheaper than shingle

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »
Yes, we are going to all metal roofs as they need replaced. No tear off, no dumpster rental, cheaper than shingle

Cheaper, really?  The metal roof quote I got was almost double what I paid for a 30 year shingle roof.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »

Are you putting the metal over the existing roof?  Seems like that would cause problems.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »
Are you putting the metal over the existing roof?  Seems like that would cause problems.
I did that back in 2010 with my rental house, and no problems yet. I think the roofers covered the existing shingles with underlayment, and put the metal on. 

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
  you put down furring strips and screw the metal to those, that way, as the metal expands and contracts, the asphalt does not wear a hole in the metal. I would get a couple of quotes because 2 folks who know what they are doing can knock a roof out in 2-3 days. 

Mola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
I have a rental with a metal roof when I bought it. Since it will basically last forever its a nice reduction in worry and capex planning. I looked into replacing other houses with shingled roofs with metal as they reach their end of life and around here (Oregon) it was considerably more expensive. It would pencil out if I had the houses for a long time, but I doubt I will have them that long. I don't intend to sell, but I have learned enough about myself to know my future self always has different ideas than my present self.