Author Topic: Any Tax Wizards?  (Read 1954 times)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Any Tax Wizards?
« on: November 04, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »
I was released from a mortgage as of September 2013 by signing over the deed to the bank (a deed-in-lieu). I need to know whether or not the forgiven deficiency balance will be counted as taxable income or not. I am expecting it to be around $40,000, most of which would be taxed in the 15% bracket. I have read IRA Pub 4681, but my situation is complex and the publication does not seem to directly address my case.

Here is a timeline of events:

Jan 2008 – Purchased primary residence. $126,000, 100% mortgage.

July 2010 – Moved away from primary residence, rented another home in another city.

January 2011 – Home underwater, decided to rent it. Signed 1-year lease agreement. Mortgage was $1080/mo. Rent covered $650/mo.

January 2012 – Tenant was a f#@%ing disaster, finally got rid of him at the end of the month.

February 2012 – Listed home with real estate agent. He informed me that home was worth, best case scenario, ~$90k. Still owed $120k.

April 2012 – Missed my first mortgage payment. Began working with bank for a short sale. My real estate agent got multiple offers in the ~$70k-$75k range over the next year, but the bank turned them all down (They were adamant that the home was worth $80k).

June 2013 – Bank finally sent me a letter informing me that they would accept a deed-in-lieu.

September 2013 – The loan cancellation was recorded at the courthouse and in the books.

So here is my dilemma: The IRS does not count debt cancellation from a “Qualified Principal Residence” as taxable income, but I do not know whether or not the home counts as a qualified principal residence. My research indicates that you had to live there 2 of the last 5 years, but when does the clock start ticking and stop ticking? I lived in the home all of 2008 and 2009, and half of 2010, but none of 2011, 2012, or 2013. I’m also not sure whether or not the fact that I rented the home for a year complicates matters or not. I really don’t want to screw this up. If I owe the tax, then fine, I’ll pay it. But I certainly don’t want to pay the extra $6000 if I don’t have to, and I want to make sure my position is defensible. Any help, guys?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: Any Tax Wizards?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
No replies yet- I decided to post this in "Ask a Mustachian" instead, since that category gets more traffic, and this is really more of a tax question than a real estate question. Mods, feel free to delete this thread to eliminate the redundancy.

Thanks

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Any Tax Wizards?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »
I'll lock the thread to keep discussion to the one topic.

My guess is you aren't getting answers because it's a topic you should talk to your accountant/lawyer about, rather than take advice from strangers on the internet.  Either way, good luck.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!